Swapping old 3 speed to C6

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

nau66

Swapping old 3 speed to C6

Post by nau66 »

I'm inheriting my dad's 68 F-100 SB 2WD. Current drivetrain is a 360 w/3-speed manual (floor shifter). I am trying to keep it period correct but plan to upgrade to a C6. I found a FE C6 core on Craigslist which does not appear to be from a 4x4. For ease of install, does it matter what tailshaft length it has? What other issues will need to be addressed for the swap?
pcmdub

Re: Swapping old 3 speed to C6

Post by pcmdub »

Hmm.. I am not a C6 expert, so keep searching. However, I DO know that there are SEVERAL C6 transmissions. Car ones have forward shifting valvebodies and so putting it in a truck makes the linkage backwards. Long beds have 2 piece drivelines and so the tailshaft of the C6 is different than a short (I think...again..no expert here). You may also want to look at the speedo cable and be sure they match up, some don't.

So ideally, you need a C6 out of a shortbed that had an FE in it. Then just have a drive shaft made to fit your truck. For shifting it, you can buy a Lokar floor shift to replace the stick but you may need to cut the transmission tunnel out anyway. If you have a removable hump, LMC carries the larger C6 hump to mount the shifter on.

Good luck
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

You also need to change out the steering column, if you plan on shifting at the column. You will need a automatic pedal assembly, and a neutral safety switch. Here is some data on automatic transmissions for our trucks: http://www.fordification.com/tech/trans ... trucks.htm

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
jpiercef

Post by jpiercef »

hello, i am currently trying to do the same to my 4x4. did you figure out what was needed? any advice you can share?