Ignition switch short

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

kevin evans

Ignition switch short

Post by kevin evans »

People who are smarter than me electrically, please check me here. (78 F150 460 AC, PS, PB, Cruise, C6) Turn start switch to run = normal lights are on dash and all is good. Start switch to start = all dark, no power anywhere in the cab. Battery is still at 12.4v, starter relay 12.4v, am meter reads nominal. No power to fuse box.

If I do a continuity check at the start switch wiring at 21Y (x2) center connectors @ C-412 to the C-206 connector at the Alternator Regulator. Will that tell me all I need to? Or is there somewhere else I should/could check for a short or broken wire/Connector?

Thank you
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Ignition switch short

Post by basketcase0302 »

"kevin evans"People who are smarter than me electrically, please check me here. (78 F150 460 AC, PS, PB, Cruise, C6) Turn start switch to run = normal lights are on dash and all is good. Start switch to start = all dark, no power anywhere in the cab. Battery is still at 12.4v, starter relay 12.4v, am meter reads nominal. No power to fuse box.

If I do a continuity check at the start switch wiring at 21Y (x2) center connectors @ C-412 to the C-206 connector at the Alternator Regulator. Will that tell me all I need to? Or is there somewhere else I should/could check for a short or broken wire/Connector?

Thank you
Kevin,
Just to start with the ignition switch has nothing to do with powering the fuse box, (there are many 12 volt circuits there yuou should be reading power on with the igniton swith turned off).
And your 78' has Duraspark ignition correct?
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4