C6 transmission line recommendation

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

mnlamont

C6 transmission line recommendation

Post by mnlamont »

Hey everyone, I really appreciate your help with this. I just rebuilt my automatic 2wd C6 for a 1970 F250. I bought a stacked plate transmission cooler, and my plan is to run my transmission lines through the radiator first and then through the cooler and then back to the trans. I will also be running a filter, and potentially putting in a temperature gauge. I will also be flushing the cooler in the radiator prior to installation. My question is, what are your recommendations regarding The actual transmission line. I could buy new, pre-bent ones, versus just getting the 5/16 tubing and bending/flaring it myself, versus putting in braided hose, which seems like it would be the easiest option. Also, if I do end up doing the braided hose, any recommendations on the best way to do the fittings? Thanks again for everyone’s help!
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: C6 transmission line recommendation

Post by 390FE1972 »

If it were me I would buy the pre bent lines for the C6 transmission, as I don't have very good tools to bend the lines. I think it would be better to have the metal pre bent lines going up to the radiator, and then use rubber transmission hose or braided hose if you want to run to and from the transmission cooler. Here is a schematic showing the OEM lines and how they hook up to the bottom of the radiator:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... -lines.jpg My truck has a C6 transmission in it, but I don't know if the transmission cooler that is on the truck is from the factory, or was added on later. If you are looking at the truck from the front, my metal pre bent line on the left side, is cut about 9 inches from the radiator bottom, there is rubber transmission hose running to the bottom of my transmission cooler, then there is hose running out the top of the transmission cooler, and it goes to the bottom of the radiator fluid reservoir on the left side of the radiator. The right side metal pre bent line hooks directly onto the right side of the radiator (transmission fluid reservoir at bottom of radiator). Just my :2cents:

If you have any questions let us know.

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears