Truck crane install question

Moderator: FORDification

Rusty67

Truck crane install question

Post by Rusty67 »

Hey guys, my 68 F100 is at the body shop and after like 2 years they are finally getting to it. I want to put a crane in it attached to the bed/frame so I can lift engines and other heavy things alike in/out of the truck bed easily. I know I'm going to need the shop to reinforce the bed for this. I found a few videos on youtube about this but I didn't see anything I feel super happy about handing over to my body shop to have them do. I don't have the fab/welding skills needed to do this myself so I'm going to have to pay someone to do it. You guys think I should have the body shop do this or should I maybe have them farm it out to a truck shop?

Any tips on mounting this would be appreciated. I'm using the Harbor Freight 1000 pound crane shorty.
pcmdub

Re: Truck crane install question

Post by pcmdub »

I don't have personal experience with doing this, but I went out and looked at it. On a long bed you should have plenty of room to put a solid plate in the rear to mount this but not sure a body shop would have the fab tools to make that.
Just for options, you may want to just get a hitch mounted tripod crane. They have better reach and can be completely removed when not needed.
https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70238-R ... B008CE0WCW
Rusty67

Post by Rusty67 »

I really want this thing mounted to the bed because of the low profile and how little space it will take up. I looked into the trailer hitch mounted kind but they aren't nearly as compact as these smaller bed mount cranes. I want to leave the crane in the truck all the time and not loose too much space.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Rusty67"I really want this thing mounted to the bed because of the low profile and how little space it will take up. I looked into the trailer hitch mounted kind but they aren't nearly as compact as these smaller bed mount cranes. I want to leave the crane in the truck all the time and not loose too much space.
Private message me an email address and I'll send you several detailed pics on how I did this to Basketcase 16. You don't even want to try to mount it to the bed, (no matter how much "reinforcing you attempt it'll be a futile effort and destroy the bed).
I used mine for 3 years lifting axles / engines and more ,(moved an entire 10 X 20 shops heavy cabinets loaded down with it).
I refused to pay the photobucket trolls so I lost 8 years worth of pictures documenting all of the build. :cry:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Rusty67

Post by Rusty67 »

I figured mounting it to the bed was as bad idea. Sorry you lost all those pictures =-(

I'll PM you my email. Thanks a lot!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

="Rusty67"I figured mounting it to the bed was as bad idea. Sorry you lost all those pictures =-(

I'll PM you my email. Thanks a lot!

I am so so sorry it took me this long to get back to you!
Relationship, (6 months later failed) and life kicking me around!
Emailed you 4-5 pics that might help if you didn't get it mounted yet. :doh:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Rusty67

Post by Rusty67 »

No worries, thanx for sending the pics over! How did you mount the tube between the frame rails? Did you weld it from the inside? Did you use box tubing or U-channel?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Rusty67"]No worries, thanx for sending the pics over! How did you mount the tube between the frame rails? Did you weld it from the inside? Did you use box tubing or U-channel?
Yes I used box tubing between my long 2" receiver hitch, (you can buy these almost any trailer supply store-link below) and the ouitside DS frame rail.
One pic i emailed should've shown that? :hmm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Weld-on-Tub ... Sw2PhdVu-c
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by two-bit »

One more word of advice.
Add a leaf to the spring pack on the side the crane is mounted on. Even if you are using outriggers. The added weight of the crane unit in the back will "load" one side of your suspension vs the other side w/o the crane weight.
An extra leaf in there will help that out.
Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"two-bit"One more word of advice.
Add a leaf to the spring pack on the side the crane is mounted on. Even if you are using outriggers. The added weight of the crane unit in the back will "load" one side of your suspension vs the other side w/o the crane weight.
An extra leaf in there will help that out.
Two-bit

So...nice to see you here old friend!
And yes the crane will do wicked things to the suspension when lifting!
I had put 2K air bags under my DRW but even then it would "twist" the truck rear end when lifting engines!
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4