Recommended C6 mods for a 450hp daily driver

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

mnlamont

Recommended C6 mods for a 450hp daily driver

Post by mnlamont »

Hey everyone, I am pretty new to the forum, and really appreciate the expertise of everyone on here. I Have a 1970 Ford F250 that I bought off someone a while back, has a 460 in it that runs great and once warmed up in the morning, fires up first try with just a turn of the key for the rest of the day. It is a little bit of a dog, power wise, so i will be doing the usual hp upgrades.

I almost had it ready to go, and I made the mistake of dropping the transmission pan, draining the fluid, and replacing the filter. The C6 already felt like it was slipping every once in a while, and I think swapping that fluid out for a nice clean fluid just was the last straw that broke the camels back. After I got the filter in and the pan bolted back on, the trans slips in all gears. When I dropped the pan again, the fluid was darker, and they were little bits floating in it. I discussed with my local tranny shop, but the more I read about it and thought about it the more I am interested in doing this rebuild as a project with my 17-year old.

I am going to get the bad shoe video and watch it a few times before getting started. I am really interested in everyone’s thoughts on specific upgrades for my particular situation, as i have no experience with trans rebuilds. This truck will be strictly for street use, no racing, may tow the occasional trailer or small boat, but nothing heavy duty. I want something that’s going to be fun to drive, and have some power/torque behind it. Eventually, I will be putting in a mild RV cam, Edelbrock performance intake, higher CFM carb, headers, straight up timing kit, and porting the heads. I expect it will end up somewhere in the 400s as far as horsepower.

For this kind of set up, what do you recommend for trans upgrades/mods? I am thinking about getting my parts from Oregon performance. Wondering specifically about:

-low stall vs stock converter
-R-servo
-band upgrade (Kevlar vs red band)
-specific transgo shift kit (Oregon has three)
-Need for extra clutches? From what I understand can fit an extra clutch with a thinner pressure plate
-Need for roller bearing upgrade
-Need for switching to needle bearings?
-Need for 4 gear to 6 planetary gear upgrade

I’ve done a lot of reading and research but a lot of the recommendations are for specific settings like race or towing, and I just don’t have the background/experience to make a good educated guess on the stuff for my specific situation. I really appreciate everyone’s help and advice. Thanks!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Recommended C6 mods for a 450hp daily driver

Post by basketcase0302 »

SEND OUR MEMBER BOBBYFORD A PM AS HE BUILT A 460/C-6 COMBO THAT HE COULD NOT KEEP 60 SERIES TIRES ON LOL! :D

http://www.fordification.com/forum/memb ... ile&u=2500
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

basketcase0302 wrote:SEND OUR MEMBER BOBBYFORD A PM AS HE BUILT A 460/C-6 COMBO THAT HE COULD NOT KEEP 60 SERIES TIRES ON LOL! :D

http://www.fordification.com/forum/memb ... ile&u=2500
HAHA, I can't wait till mine is complete. 460 C6.
1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Been a LONG time since I worked at Western Transmission but I'll try to help some.......on the shift kit you'll want the Transgo 67-1&2 - that will firm up your shifts and work well with occasional towing. As far as the extra clutch plates you'll remove the cushion steel and that will allow you to install an extra but I've always done it for guys who raced - it makes for a much harder shift and really isn't needed for street use - did it on the Powerglide in my Impala and between that and the shift kit I thought it was a bit much for street use. Most of the other stuff (bearings, kevlar bands) will greatly extend the life of it and give it more durability......and don't forget the most important item - a good transmission cooler.....a transmissions best friend! Hopefully someone else will chime in on a converter - I didn't deal with those much. They are a fairly simple design so you should be able to do it yourself - grab a manual and watch some videos and get ready to get messy...... :wink:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR