Recommended C6 mods for a 450hp daily driver

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

mnlamont

Recommended C6 mods for a 450hp daily driver

Post by mnlamont »

Hey everyone, I am pretty new to the forum, and really appreciate the expertise of everyone on here. I Have a 1970 Ford F250 that I bought off someone a while back, has a 460 in it that runs great and once warmed up in the morning, fires up first try with just a turn of the key for the rest of the day. It is a little bit of a dog, power wise, so i will be doing the usual hp upgrades.

I almost had it ready to go, and I made the mistake of dropping the transmission pan, draining the fluid, and replacing the filter. The C6 already felt like it was slipping every once in a while, and I think swapping that fluid out for a nice clean fluid just was the last straw that broke the camels back. After I got the filter in and the pan bolted back on, the trans slips in all gears. When I dropped the pan again, the fluid was darker, and they were little bits floating in it. I discussed with my local tranny shop, but the more I read about it and thought about it the more I am interested in doing this rebuild as a project with my 17-year old.

I am going to get the bad shoe video and watch it a few times before getting started. I am really interested in everyone’s thoughts on specific upgrades for my particular situation, as i have no experience with trans rebuilds. This truck will be strictly for street use, no racing, may tow the occasional trailer or small boat, but nothing heavy duty. I want something that’s going to be fun to drive, and have some power/torque behind it. Eventually, I will be putting in a mild RV cam, Edelbrock performance intake, higher CFM carb, headers, straight up timing kit, and porting the heads. I expect it will end up somewhere in the 400s as far as horsepower.

For this kind of set up, what do you recommend for trans upgrades/mods? I am thinking about getting my parts from Oregon performance. Wondering specifically about:

-low stall vs stock converter
-R-servo
-band upgrade (Kevlar vs red band)
-specific transgo shift kit (Oregon has three)
-Need for extra clutches? From what I understand can fit an extra clutch with a thinner pressure plate
-Need for roller bearing upgrade
-Need for switching to needle bearings?
-Need for 4 gear to 6 planetary gear upgrade

I’ve done a lot of reading and research but a lot of the recommendations are for specific settings like race or towing, and I just don’t have the background/experience to make a good educated guess on the stuff for my specific situation. I really appreciate everyone’s help and advice. Thanks!
DuckRyder

Re: Recommended C6 mods for a 450hp daily driver

Post by DuckRyder »

Duplicate
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper