Hazard Emergency Light Switch Question

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

UKPR1

Hazard Emergency Light Switch Question

Post by UKPR1 »

Dumb question and feel free to laugh at my expense: did all F100's come with hazard light switches? I spent at least 30 minutes poking around the dash with the cluster out and couldn't find it. There is a 2nd flasher unit with the correct red/white stripe wires going to it, but after it disappears into the harness, for the life of me I can't find where it goes. My Ranger has factory AC and thought I would find a switch in the glove box area, but no such luck. Is my only option to cut open the harness and trace where the lights from the emergency flasher go?

Quick victory story while I contend with the electrical gremlins...: I started my truck for the first time since getting it home and it was beautiful. Heck to get it started with plenty of starter fluid, but once it was running, you could ALMOST stand a glass of water on the manifold and not have it vibrate off...it was that smooth. Now I know it runs...next stop: Duraspark ignition!

Thanks in advance,

Geoff
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Hazard Emergency Light Switch Question

Post by tsherry »

Look in the glove box. On the RH side, hanging from the top, is where many of the switches of the era resided. These over time can break, having the cable harness and bakelight separate from the switch plate.

They look like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/i/324225699442?chn ... hQQAvD_BwE
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

You'll love having a Duraspark. Quicker starts, more responsive acceleration.

no idea about gas mileage; my '67 -250 has a built 390 with an Edelbrock 4bbl and a 4:11, so mileage isn't a thought.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Thanks for your reply. But with the factory AC, the glovebox is filled with AC components (by design). Every wrapped harness that runs through the glovebox area either goes to the AC components or goes through the right inner fender. There are no loose wires or dead end cables. The is a small glovebox that is part of the AC unit, but contains no switches.
Another reason for asking my question, is that I think I was on LMC looking at something switch or electrical related, and under applications, it had "F100 without hazard switch". Also, in looking at the hazard switches, the model that you sent me, says "1969 F100 W/O AC".

So where would the switch be for a 1969 with AC? I don't think it was ever dash mounted as all my switch holes are filled: (From left to right) Light, ignition, wiper, steering column, cargo, choke, cigarette.

This one is a real head-scratcher. Was that hazard switch plate ever just mounted under the dash?

Thanks,

Geoff
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

After some in-depth searching, it turns out I've been looking in the wring section of the dash! Apparently, its possible that is was mounted under the dash to the right of the steering column...can's wait to get home and poke around and hopefully finally close up the dash!

http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... =225#p1039

Thanks all.

Geoff
zgerbic

Post by zgerbic »

In case it is unclear how the hazard switch works it is essentially a switch that shorts all four wires on the back of the switch together. They are otherwise all unconnected. You can duplicate the same function with at 3PDT switch with at least a 5A DC rating.
How Hazard Lights Work TG Dec2020.jpg
Hope this helps

TonyG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

The hazard switch was mounted in the glove box for all trucks, including those with factory AC.
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

I'm convinced mine was never in the glovebox. Read through the above link - I'm not the only one who had theirs to the right of the steering column under the dash...
zgerbic

Post by zgerbic »

I was a little unclear on the location myself. Nearly all posts I saw indicated they were in the glove box. I think this is true for most of the earlier trucks but the factory users manuals indicate that the hazard light switch is in the dash and you pull it to turn on the flashers. This seems to be the standard in the 1970 plus trucks. I also checked replacement parts catalogs and most mention a toggle switch in the glove box till 1969 and a push/pull switch starting in 1970 (similar to the Bronco hazard switch). I have seen pictures of some trucks with factory air and the glove box insert does not look like it could take the factory toggle switch. I have seen 1970 plus dash photos and many show the hazard switch in the dash.

For the switches right of the steering column, the cargo light and lighter are options. Older trucks come with a choke cable. This makes up the three control positions. When the electric chokes appeared, the choke cable was removed which left open a spot for the Bronco style hazard switch. What I am not sure of is if you had factory air and a choke carb, would the hazard light be in place of the lighter?

I installed after-market air in my truck and it came with a ridiculously small glove box insert and no place for a toggle switch to mount. I ended up making a modification to the factory glovebox insert (removing ~ 3/4" from the bottom, part of the way back) and it fit in place. I was able to use the existing hazard toggle switch and have an almost factory size non-air conditioning glove box.

Regards
zgerbic

Post by zgerbic »

Some additional thoughts...

I think I did read some time back that the hazard light toggle switch could be an option in some models. I did not see any dash photos that showed the hazard switch mounted under the dash, but I suspect a bracket could be put there if there are no open holes by the column.

If the truck has factory air, check under the dash near the cargo light switch for a large four pin square connector that is not connected to anything. That would probably be the connector for the in-dash hazard light switch (option?). I would suspect that if the harness has the emergency flasher, it would be useless without a switch somewhere in the harness to make use of it.

As a last resort, I included info in the image that explains what four wires are used for the hazard switch. If you can find those four wires, you could wire in a connector to a toggle switch (as shown in the DIY image) or a Bronco style switch. Just find a place to put it.

Regards
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

Here are a couple of excellent threads that talk about the emergency flasher switch location. What year truck do you have?

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =8&t=22939
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =8&t=64910

Hope this helps :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears