Late model 1972 f100 question

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Jsupreme

Re: Late model 1972 f100 question

Post by Jsupreme »

390FE1972 wrote:Here is some interesting information on late model 1972 production numbers vs 1973 production numbers:
https://www.fordification.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=50577

Regards :drive:
Ya. The numbers on the vin indicate it was August. 85083.
Jsupreme

Post by Jsupreme »

The Bandit wrote:Can you get pics of where you're looking at on the frame? On my 72 frame it's on the rightside frame rail in two places. one is just in front of where the spring perch mounts to the frame on top of the rail and the other place is on top of the same frame rail right between the right side cap mounts.

That part number you found is on the side of the left frame rail at the front like mine. Your vin number will start with a Star like symbol and end with one as well.
I'll take some pics soon. But I have been all over that truck. Is yours a 72 frame as well? How do you decipher that frame number?
Jsupreme

Post by Jsupreme »

390FE1972 wrote:Not sure if this will help you with your title, but you might want to check it out: https://www.fordification.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=50285

Regards :thup:
Wow! I might use them. Great find. I have to get it inspected anyways.
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

[/quote]I'll take some pics soon. But I have been all over that truck. Is yours a 72 frame as well? How do you decipher that frame number?[/quote]

Yes mine is a 72 frame as well and both vin number stampings were visible after wire brushing them really well. The pic you posted earlier of your frame starts with D2TA D=70's era
2 is the actual year
T= vehicle type. (light/medium truck for yours)
A= Engineering group(Light Truck Engineering Division)
After that I think is just generic part number and revision codes
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
Jsupreme

Post by Jsupreme »

Thank you guys for all the help. Hopefully I can piece this thing bank together in a few years. I think it's worth saving.
Jsupreme

Post by Jsupreme »

Alright. Got the cab off. Found the VIN under the cab It's pretty pitted but I made it out.

Found more tags all over the truck. One was attached to the bed on the driver's side after I removed the cab. It all matches up!! I know the frame is pretty pitted. Going to work on that. It's only pitted where the VIN numbers should have been. Lol. On the other side I wire wheeled it and it looks brand new!!