Setting Timing and Vacuum on 390FE

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

KPace1955

Setting Timing and Vacuum on 390FE

Post by KPace1955 »

Gentleman, My question concerns my initial timing is set at 12 Degrees. Starts up great every time, but top end drops off at 3500 rpms. I have Eldebrock Heads and Intake with 600cfm carb (vacuum) stock cam. I put on the vacuum guage on the manifold and noticed I only had 6lbs. So I upped the timing to 20 Degrees and now have 20lbs of vacuum at idle and it runs great up to 5500 rpms. The problem not is after it runs a while up to temperature and I shut it off it will not restart. It sounds like the starter has nothing left in it. After about a 1/2 hour it cools down and starts right up. Bottom line, I like the engine above 3500rpms but when the timing is at 12 degrees it start all the time. Thoughts?????? Starter?? Distributor vacuum works.
sparky72

Re: Setting Timing and Vacuum on 390FE

Post by sparky72 »

Are you running headers?
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
KPace1955

Post by KPace1955 »

No I'm not. I use too and that had a big effect on the starter when hot.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Might try some heat shield/insulation wrap on the starter?
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
sparky72

Post by sparky72 »

Yeah, try the head shield over the starter. You could then try a high torque starter. Some people will install a switch that disables ignition until the starter gets up to speed to fix issues like this, too.

Out of curiosity, how much total advance do you have now? You might want to look into recurving your distributor to give you the total you want without excessive initial.

Another thing - 6 inches of vacuum at idle is really, really low, especially with a stock cam. There is probably something going on there that large amounts of initial advance (and the faster idle that comes with it) are simply covering up. What was your idle speed when you were getting 6 inches of vacuum? If it was in the ballpark (500-700rpm, I would say) but your vacuum was that low, I would start looking for a vacuum leak.
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You could try a hi torque starter or heat shield... but IMO your starting issue is a result of something else.

First do some checking.

6inHG is very little vacuum
20inHG is a lot of vacuum

Are you sure these numbers are correct.

Do you have a way to check total advance vs initial (dial back timing light, timing tape)

Step one is verify the marks on the balancer... (even if its only TDC)

Must say E heads and a stock cam is an odd build too...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

Duck is giving you very good advice

1 - Verify your timing marks
2 - Verify your timing curve and recurve if needed (best 100-150 you will ever spend)
3 - Lack of headers, even with a stock cam is a power sucker up top
4 - FE starters typically don't die with heat unless it's extreme, there is no solenoid to fail like a Chevy. I'd likely get a set of ceramic coated, however, realize with Edel heads, you'll have to verify that the headers are flange seal, not welded ring, as a truck header has a different port location than the CJ style Edelbrocks. FPA makes them, big bucks, but you could even reflange and coat a cheap set, I believe you can just flip the flanges upside down if handy with a welder

You numbers do seem odd that you would lose so much vacuum at 12 BTDC, my guess is your balancer slipped, or something else is causing a bad reading.

Also, always make sure you are setting timing with vacuum advance disconnected and plugged
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
brkdncr

Post by brkdncr »

If your starter is getting to hot, a common solution is to get a mini-starter and a starter insulation wrap.. I’m doing this on my 390 while it’s out, and will then do it on my 430 MEL that has the exact issue you’re describing.

Another possibility is a combination of a tight engine and poor wiring or a failing starter solenoid.