Dana 60 Part ID and Process

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

rms337

Dana 60 Part ID and Process

Post by rms337 »

I had to replace the pinion seal and thought I would inspect the bearing while I was at it. While I am pretty good about taking photos of everything as I am taking them apart, I missed doing it with this. It has been a few months since I did this, so I can't remember where a piece came from. In this order, I have the following...original shims, bearing, baffle, yoke, washer and nut. But, I have an extra piece in this that I cannot figure out where it goes. What is odd is that I can tell from looking at the pieces I have what went where just due to imprints, or imperfections on the surfaces of everything (i.e. the oil baffle has an imprint of the bearing number and name on it). I also looked at some Dana60 diagrams, but don't see it. It is the ring lying on the rag. You can click on that picture to see more of the measurements I took of it. It appears to be too big for anything related to this assembly, so I am now wondering if it came from another project in my parts washer, but I am pretty good about keeping things separated. Any ideas?

ImageImage

Second, does anyone have a quick and dirty step by step method for setting preload?

Thanks!