'71 speedometer connection to M5R2

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

65comet

'71 speedometer connection to M5R2

Post by 65comet »

I've been scouring this sight reading all the info on the M5OD R2 swap into the bumpside Fords. I've got the T18 trans in now behind a 302. I figured to buy a donor truck with the M5R2 for this swap. Found a 91 F150 with 6 cyl. and M5R2 trans I can pick up for 1000 or less. I keep seeing posts of speedometer issues caused by the VSS sensor that was in these years with cruise control.

Can anyone tell me if the VSS or anything else will be an issue for connecting the speedometer from the M5R2 to the '71 gauge ? Do you think it's overkill, over spending to buy a donor truck vs. piecing it together ? It doesn't make sense if there are no electronics involved with this swap.

I always wondered why no one ever tried to find a mechanical throughout bearing to operate the clutch for the M5R2. After all, the transmission doesn't care. I'm guessing it's about the integral bellhousing and hole for the clutch fork. Any insight on that ?

Thanks for your input. I'll be tearing down soon for a built 302 roller cam motor, this trans swap and a gear swap in the 9".
If I had more money, I'd have more cars
mmerlinn

Re: '71 speedometer connection to M5R2

Post by mmerlinn »

Unless your 71 has a special speedo cable, there should be no issues since all M5OD R2 transmissions through 92 had mechanical speedometers.
mmerlinn (http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/makeridx.htm)

"People who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Steven Raymond
65comet

Post by 65comet »

Thanks for the input. Ended up buying an 88 F150 with a 302 and M5R2. Stripping it down now and looking at all options.
FordTruck
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by FordTruck »

That's what I did to get a speedometer in my truck I pulled the tail housing off of a late 80s transmission. I still haven't gotten the speedometer reading exactly right since when I did the trans I also changed the rear end gears and tire size.
"Flyin High On Caffine And Copenhagen" R.I.P Chris LeDoux

60 Mercury Comet
65 Ford Econoline
72 Ford F100 on 79 4x4 SWB frame
77 Ford F250 "lowboy" 4x4
09 Harley Xl1200c
65comet

Post by 65comet »

I'm halfway thru the swaps in this '71 to a 302 roller motor and M5R2 transmission. Bought an 88 F150 with the 5.0 & M5R2 trans. The trans fits in fine with moving the crossmember back and moving the shifter hole in the floor hump back about 2 ". The major issue with this transmission is going to be when the throwout cyl. needs replaced. This trans only fits into the truck from the front, the engine compartment. It will not go in from the rear without taking out the crossmember the big stabilizer arms are attached to. Major bummer, that means pulling the motor to change the slave cyl. It has the tailshaft for speedometer cable so I'm set there.

Got the hyd. clutch master mounted on the firewall on drivers side of brake vacume booster and found a steel braided flex line at RockAuto. I took the clutch rod pin piece off the '88, cut it and welded up a bracket I'll weld onto my factory clutch pedal without removing it. I'll be able to use the entire factory clutch master and rod. I'll have to fashion a stop on the floor to prevent over travel. The clutch master has 1 1/4" stroke.

My factory steering box had a lot of play so I bought a new unit from Redhead with quick ratio gears of 3 turns lock to lock. Since my truck has power steering, this will be a welcome change.

I'll be changing the 9" gears this weekend from 3.0 to 3.5, have a new 302 aluminum headed roller motor on the way.

One thing really baffling me. The Transmission is definitely an M5R2 case, I.D. numbers are E8TA DD. However when I bought a new speedometer drive gear for an R2, it was way too big. After measuring, seeing pictures, I find there is an M5R1 output shaft in this trans and I need the R1 speedo drive gear. I took this to my local trans guy to go through it, he said it had been rebuilt and looked great, needs nothing.
No one has an explanation of why this R2 trans has a R1 output shaft in it. I'm told the R1 gear sets won't go together in the R2 case but I don't know. I'm bummed I've got this smaller, weaker output shaft in this trans. Anyone know why there would be an R1 shaft in this R2 case ? Did Ford build a trans that way ?