Axle swap suggestions.

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

mdbaker42

Axle swap suggestions.

Post by mdbaker42 »

I own a 1970 f-250 highboy, 4x4,360,4 speed. I’m wanting to upgrade to disc brakes but I have the closed knuckle Dana up front and drums on a dana 60 out back. I’d like to swap front and rear assemblies. What should I be looking for? Are there any that bolt directly on? I’m just getting started on my research. Any ideas, solid advice or fantasy’s are welcome. Thanks, one and all.
markguiver

Re: Axle swap suggestions.

Post by markguiver »

I'll start off with a few bits of info. The only disc brake/ open knuckle front axle that would be a direct swap would be out of a 76 or early 77. After mid year 77 thru 79 the axles will bolt in, but changes to the steering will need to be made. For the rear axle, the only direct swap would be another hi-boy (thru early 77) or an F350 2 wheel drive thru 79. Some of the F350's will have a Dana 70, but they all have drum brakes. In late 77 the frames on 4X4 trucks widened behind the cab, like the 2WD frames did in 73. Only the F350's kept the narrower frames thru 79. It wasn't clear in your post whether you wanted discs on the rear, but discs can be adapted to your existing axle. There are kits available you can purchase or write-ups online that walk you through the swap. That's all I can think of at the moment, but it's a start.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
mdbaker42

Post by mdbaker42 »

Thanks Mark. I appreciate you taking the time to clearly explain what I needed to know. Just so I’m clear. 76 through mid 77, 1/2 or 3/4 ton 4x4? Direct bolt in? Or? Is there a 1 ton option? And if later, what kind of steering changes are we talking about? Thanks again. Mike.
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

The front axle would have to come out of an F250. In 77.5 thru 79 the steering setup was changed to the outside of the inner frame rail with the pitman arm swinging under the frame rail, instead of inside the frame with the pitman arm coming thru a hole like ours. To adapt the newer steering to pre 77.5 trucks you have to weld a plate to the top and bottom flanges on the inside of the frame rail. Then you have to locate the new box so it swings under the frame without hitting the springs. https://benchworksteering.com/products/ ... onversion/. These guys make a conversion kit to adapt integral power steering to our trucks. None of this is easy or cheap, so for the easy cheaper swap it's a 76/early 77 axle.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
mdbaker42

Post by mdbaker42 »

Got it. Thank you.