Front fenders

Moderator: FORDification

Blue_Streak

Front fenders

Post by Blue_Streak »

So, I have been putting my truck together just to align things up, drill holes for added trim pieces , and generally make sure things fit before paint and final assembly. I have been fitting the front fenders and have run into a big problem. The cab and fenders are not mated, meaning they are not original to each other. The fenders are excellent but from a donor truck. When I put them on they stick out from the cowl about 1/4". The metal brace on the fender hits the metal on the cab.

Is it supposed to stick out ??? I thought that it should be flush. There is no room for adjustment. Metal on metal. The fenders have not been in an accident nor are they bent nor has there been any work done to them. Does it make a difference that they are a different year from the cab?

I'm asking if you guys could take a look at yours to tell me what they are supposed to be like and if and or where I have gone wrong somewhere.

Thanks
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Front fenders

Post by 390FE1972 »

Here is a good youtube by one of our Fordification members on tips and tricks to reinstall your fenders:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ERI9QXmcHw4

Hope this helps! :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Blue_Streak wrote:When I put them on they stick out from the cowl about 1/4".
There is no room for adjustment. Metal on metal.
Let’s see a picture of what youre talking about.
Can you compensate by cutting the metal?
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Put the doors on , line them up with the cab corner , rocker and cowl then see where fenders line up.
Blue_Streak

Post by Blue_Streak »

Yep. I did manage to find that video on youtube. I didn't know it was from a member here. Cool

cep62 …… I see what you're talking about. Duh me!!! Makes perfect sense. Line up doors to the rear of cab , rocker and cowl and fender should be flush with the door. Make the door the constant. I had just put the fender on without the door. I will try that. In theory though, if the door is flush with the cowl then wouldn't the fender , if it already sticks out from the cowl , then stick out from the door as well? Or are you thinking a tiny adjustment of the door out from the cowl would then lessen the non flushness of the fender to the door? Kinda like a little bit here and a little bit there will make everything not noticeable ?
Someone mentioned to me that if I ever saw an early 50s Ford truck at a car show and the hood fit perfectly to know that a lot of work had been done to it to make it fit perfectly 'cause it never fit perfectly from the factory. I guess the same could be said for our trucks as well and maybe even up to the 80s. They were built to work not to look pretty. I suppose we are spoiled nowadays with QA. There are so many car companies and models of cars and trucks to chose from that everything does have to fit well to attract and keep the customer. Back then, if you didn't like what was offered there were only 2 other companies to chose from and their fit and finish was just as bad as the first one.