Cleaning Up New Gas Tank

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Cleaning Up New Gas Tank

Post by 390FE1972 »

I just bought a new Aux Gas tank for my truck, it is a Canadian made F25A from Spectra Premium. My question is what is the best way to clean up the tank, it has some grease on the outside, that I'm sure is for keeping it from rusting. What is the best thing to use to clean this up prior to painting it? Also what is the best method for cleaning out the inside of the tank prior to installing it, as I'm sure that it will need cleaned out as the box had holes in it and it probably has dust and dirt inside. Any help is appreciated. :help:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
markguiver

Re: Cleaning Up New Gas Tank

Post by markguiver »

For cleaning the grease off the outside I like to use purple degreaser or simple green in a spray bottle. Spray the whole tank and let it sit for awhile to cut the grease. After is soaks, follow that with a bucket of medium hot water mixed with Dawn dish soap and a medium hard scrub brush. Rinse well and repeat with warm water and Dawn. Rinse and dry. For the inside, if the sender is installed I pull the sender out, turn the tank upside down and blow it out with a shop vac. or compressed air. If you set the tank with the fill tube facing down and aim the air at the other end most of the debris will be forced out the fill tube. If there are any little pieces still in the tank, vacuum them out with the shop vac. through the sender hole. For a lasting paint job, lightly sand the outside of the tank with 320 grit sand paper, wash with water and Dawn again, dry, and wipe down with acetone before paint. If the tank is galvanized, you should use a self etching primer. Then make it pretty with the paint. :wink:
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Cleaning Up New Gas Tank

Post by 390FE1972 »

Thanks for the input, i'll give it a try!

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears