ISO - 1967 Radio opening

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Blue_Streak

ISO - 1967 Radio opening

Post by Blue_Streak »

I have a '67 cab with the radio mounting tabs completely removed from the opening. I initially was thinking about fabricating new tabs with the correct hole locations and proper bends then I got thinking of an easier route.
So.... hoping to see if anyone out there has a wrecked cab or dash that has these tabs still attached. I was thinking that I would just cut out the whole opening ( from instrument bezel to glovebox opening ) and a bit wider than the radio opening , and weld in a proper donor piece. I know its probably a difficult find but just thought I would throw it out there.

I didn't know if I should put my request here or in the parts wanted section so I put it in both

Thanks
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: ISO - 1967 Radio opening

Post by fastEdsel »

Is your intention to install a radio or the FORD blank piece? :? Don't over think your project but replacing an entire dash is more work than you need. I would build a piece the same rectangular dimension as the hole with the tabs and just glue it in place with Gorilla Glue from the inside. Laugh if you like but I Gorilla Glued a 2 foot lever onto my remote hydraulic pump to run my log splitter that runs at 1500 psi, pot metal to hardened steel and it's still there, after 4 seasons and several tons of firewood. That glue holds well. It's just a suggestion. I would have to look at my trucks, there may be room to just pop rivet something in there, you gotta get creative, good luck keep us informed. :thup:
Blue_Streak

Post by Blue_Streak »

I have an original '67 radio to install. Not thinking about replacing the entire dash, just the opening with the original locating tabs. Was going to cut out the opening from dash to glovebox above and below the opening and do the same with the donor piece and weld back in. Its not really that hard to do IF I can find a donor. Thanks for the reply.
Blue_Streak

Post by Blue_Streak »

My opening , as it stands , has the tabs completely removed so that I have a completely rectangular opening and thus nothing to affix the radio to.
Blue_Streak

Post by Blue_Streak »

I actually might have to be creative on this but I thought I would try this fix first. Everything has to look like it belongs and looks factory. This restoration will be a resto-mod show truck with 99% of its original integrity intact but just with modern motor and suspension and some very minor modifications.