Wiring universal harness to speedometer connector.

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Gibbythegreat35

Wiring universal harness to speedometer connector.

Post by Gibbythegreat35 »

I am attempting to put in a new universal wiring harness and fuse box into my 5.0 71 F100. I am not the best at writing by any means and am wondering how to connect the speedometer connector to a new harness. I didn't have the cash to drop on a painless/pre-fitted harness so I've just been winging it with the universal so far. Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Wiring universal harness to speedometer connector.

Post by sargentrs »

Stock speedometer? It's mechanical, no wiring.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Gibbythegreat35

Yes it's the stock one, and I'm sorry I just realized that I mislead everyone by saying speedometer when I actually mean the instrument cluster.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

About your only option is to use the stock connector and splice the wires from your new harness into the connector using the diagram as a guide.
http://www.fordification.com/tech/wirin ... _quick.jpg
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Gibbythegreat35

Thank you for the wiring diagram. And I'm sorry to ask, but is there a way to tell which component each wire goes to? The new harness simply has each wire labeled with its corresponding gauge and I can't tell which port on the connector that each will need to fit in. I looked at the diagram and don't see a connector with 18 slots like the one on my old harness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

I'm gonna be hitting this wall also here in the near future. Thing is, I'm swapping in a F-600 gauge cluster.

I think in your case Gibbythegreat35, you will need to look at the "printed circuit" piece behind the stock gauges, the connector, and where the actual "gauges" are. Trace each wire through the plug, into the connector, onto the printed circuit, and to the gauge. Keep in mind, some of those wires go to lights.

Also think about that voltage regulator for the dash, that has been on my mind for a bit. When we wire in a complete generic wire harness, how should we splice in the regulator. Granted, I haven't look too closely at the wire diagram for that regulator yet, and yes, I can read schematics and wire diagrams, I work on/with medical imaging equipment for a living.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

I think this will help you out as its the one I used when I wired in my F600 cluster.
https://www.fordification.com/forum/dow ... &mode=view

Bottom half of picture is for 70-72 wiring so it should kind of point you in the right direction.
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
Gibbythegreat35

Thank you very much for for the input guys. I'll be trying this out soon and hopefully good results follow. Also good luck on the f600 and that voltage regulator too.