Hi all! Need some help

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

Cosmicflyboy

Hi all! Need some help

Post by Cosmicflyboy »

Hi all!

Needless to say, I'm new here. This might take a bit of explaining so I can get to my questions. I have been given the old family F100. Been in the family since new. It has been sitting since maybe 2005 or so. Well i'm looking to put a light duty overlander RV together. Yes, it would be easier to just buy newer super duty or something like that but where is the fun in that. Plus I am overly sentimental and also a proponent of up-cycling when possible. I think this truck is a good candidate. So motors i'm good with and body work i can get around...but i've never touched drive trains outside of brake jobs and the occasional ball joint change. For this project i know i'm going to need a heavier rear end (and possibly front end). I have no idea where to start. I will most likely be junk yard hunting for parts to build off of. I have no clue where to start. So i figure the collective knowledge of the internet ford fans could certainly give me a hand.

The truck has a 302 and is automatic. If i could get over to the farm where it is sitting i could be more specific...but during this whole pandemic business i'm not going near my over 70 Aunt and Uncle.

So my question, what are the best heavier rear ends (and probably front ends) that would work for this project?

Thanks in advance!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Hi all! Need some help

Post by basketcase0302 »

:wel:

You might actually want to look at just swapping the cab onto a dent era, (preferably a F-350 that has a D-70 rear with a HP D-60 front axle).
That's be the highly sought after 78'-79' F-350. That will save you a lot...of work. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Cosmicflyboy

Post by Cosmicflyboy »

Not a terrible idea. It's all about finding one though.
travlinjohn

Post by travlinjohn »

A little information on what your truck is would help in getting some help. What year and style is your vehicle, is it a 4x4 etc. Maybe you could call your uncle and get the VIN #.

Building your own sounds like FUN! Where are you located?
"Laugh Hard, Hang Tough, Lend a Hand"