302 timing with updated cam

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Farmall

302 timing with updated cam

Post by Farmall »

I recently installed a new cam (mild, for low end torque), aluminum intake and Summit four barrel (which looks like an unbranded Holly).
I was wondering what timing settings folks might have come up with for best operation and fuel.
Stock 6deg btc? I know the lobe timing is changed. In playing around I've run it up to 25btc. It also has electronic ignition.
At 25deg. I had to run premium and it screamed at high rpm, didn't keep it there long.
Sometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.
My Truck
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 302 timing with updated cam

Post by sargentrs »

I always like to set mine at max timing, all in, and let the initial fall where it wants to. Leave your vacuum advance plugged in, idle up to 2500-3000 rpm and turn your distributor until you reach 38*. Lock it down and take it for a test drive. Tune your carburetor mix screws to achieve 19-21Hg from manifold vacuum. Set your idle at 700 rpm. Repeat until you get her running the best she will. After I swapped to a Duraspark electronic ignition system and set mine to max timing initial came in at 22*. I thought that was crazy but she loved it there.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.