HELP!! I THINK THESE GO TO THE COIL???

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
godsend63

HELP!! I THINK THESE GO TO THE COIL???

Post by godsend63 »

My 1968 truck was stolen eight months ago, and I got it back with a wad of melted wires for a harness! I replaced the harness with a used one from a 1970. There are three wires that come out of the firewall,I beleive they are for the coil, not sure! A thick wire that is white with red stripe, A smaller wire, red with a green stripe, and one that is red with a white stripe. If any one knows where these go, and what purpose they serve, I would appreciate it. My truck will crank over, but not start.
thanks!!
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Check her for the wiring diagrams:

http://www.fordification.com/wiring.htm
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: HELP!! I THINK THESE GO TO THE COIL???

Post by bluef250 »

See the 1970 master diagram, wires 39, 31, and 16 sound like the ones you are need. 2 are for gauges, 1 is for the coil. The gauge wire will have about 6 volts. The coil on start should be the battery voltage, on run should be 9 to 10 volts.
godsend63

Post by godsend63 »

thanks for the info guys! If I am reading the diagram correctly, does the black wire from the distributor go to the negative side of the coil? and does the wire marked number 16 in the diagram go to the positive side of the coil?
I really appreciate the help!!! THANKS
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Black (- coil) - coil to distributer

39 - Red White stripe - temp to connector under dash
31 - White red stripe - oil to connector under dash
16 - red green stripe (+ coil) - coil to connector under dash

If I read the diagrams correctly. Check your harness often PO's change things.
godsend63

Post by godsend63 »

hello! good news!
I got my wires hooked up according to the diagram and the truck fired up on the the first try. the bad news, something is knocking in the lower part of the engine (thanks to the truck thieves). I have a few more questions on electrical. on the drivers side above the emergency brake, is a round red brake light that glows constant when the key is on? next, does anyone know what purpose the switch serves at the very bottom of the steering column? it has a four prong plug. My reverse lights now burn constant with the key on. I also have three wires in my harness near the headlight switch. one is solid brown with a male connector, one is light blue, and it looks like it once had a fust attached to it. and the last one is a solid purple wire, cut off. I also have wires on the passenger side going through the firewall, they are the ones that have the black plug in. two of these wires are cut, they are both smaller wires, and one is red and one is yellow. I looked at the diagram, but to no avail!! If anyone could help ,I would really appreciate it. sorry for all the questions!
granitestate68

Post by granitestate68 »

Wow, had to read that twice,

First, the glowing red light above the e brake is the brake imbalance, between front and rear brakes, warning light. If you replaced the harness it's probably due to the fact your old harness was disconnected or cut if this was not lit before. You'll need to bleed the brakes to get that to shut off, heard it is a real bear to get it to go out though.

Second, back up lights: Is this a 3 on the tree, auto or what? If it's three on the tree the back up switch is in the engine bay right next to the steering box. Or the wiring to the column is messed.

The other questions :dk:, You said the harness is from a 70 right?

Lee
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-550
1996 F250 Slightly lifted 7.3L Diesel
1961 Falcon Ranchero 144 Inline 6
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the one thing i know for sure is the wire on the passenger side that is red should be taped up its not used on your truck it is for a camper special brake light hook up. mine isn;t hooked up it had a fuse connector on it origianlly. the yellow i don't know. oh brown should be tail/brake lights. i can't say for sure but the plug on the column at the bottom should be for turn signals maybe.
godsend63

Post by godsend63 »

hello!
thanks everyone, I appreciate the info. The truck has a C4 automatic transmission and the harness I used was from a 1970. you mentioned that the switch on the bottom of my steering column may be for my turn signals! will any switch work from a 1967 thru 1972? My switch is broke and my turn signals do not work. You guys also mentioned a brake imbalance, Is that caused by just air in the lines or could it also be in the adjustment? I also will make sure I detete that red wire that isnt being used. thanks for all the help and insight.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The switch at the bottom of the column is your neutral safety switch, if it looks like this:

It has nothing to do with the turn signals, the turn signal switch is mounted up under the steering wheel.

Read the following thread for information on how to recenter the switch in the brake distribution block, to get the warning light to go off:

http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2214
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i was thinking of the wire that comes out of the column from the turn signal switch. the four wire plug. or is it six? i can't remember how many wires they have.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yeah, those wires are for the horn and turn signals:

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
godsend63

Post by godsend63 »

Thanks Keith and Fordman !
The neutral safety switch looks exactly like the one in the picture, except mine is broke. Would I be better off going to a parts place or a junk yard for a replacement? I Still have to find out why my reverse lights stay on constant and I have no turn signals. I read the article about the distribution block. Would it be better to just bleed all my brakes at once to recenter the valve, and is located near the master cylinder?
thanks for the help!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i would start at the parts store then a local junkyard and then check with us on here to see if we have a good one. i don't as far as the brake light i would wait until you have all the wiring figured out before you bleed the brakes maybe you can save yourself some trouble. and the distribution block is located on the drivers from under the floorboard. it has five brake lines coming out of it. maybe six.
godsend63

Post by godsend63 »

Thanks Fordman!
I will check out the parts store this weekend for the switch, and work out some other issues with the truck. I now see the distribution block, now that I know where to look!
thanks again!!