1968 F500 Utility Truck

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: 1968 F500 Utility Truck

Post by dolinick »

Hello, I drove the truck almost 2 miles to the car wash today. It has no brakes but I did not really need them. I can stop it in 2nd or maybe first gear and also using the parking brake. I mostly didn't drive over 10 mph.

The engine idle increases when I press on the brake pedal so i'm thinking that maybe brake fluid is leaking from the booster but does brake fluid
burn or increase the air fuel mixture in a way to make the truck idle go up?

I ought to try and fix the brakes next but I want to mess with the tail lights, turn signals, brake lights(wait no brakes) and headlights.

I cleaned the interior a little bit and the bed(inside the body) a little bit, and the engine bay a little bit, and the exterior a little bit.

Where and how do i post photos and videos?

ImageDSC01191 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

ImageDSC01206 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

ImageDSC01173 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

ImageDSC01174 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

ImageDSC01160 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

ImageDSC01163 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

https://youtu.be/gKigOCSELTw
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
bellamor

Post by bellamor »

dolinick wrote:Hello, I drove the truck almost 2 miles to the car wash today. It has no brakes but I did not really need them. I can stop it in 2nd or maybe first gear and also using the parking brake. I mostly didn't drive over 10 mph.

The engine idle increases when I press on the brake pedal so i'm thinking that maybe brake fluid is leaking from the booster but does brake fluid
burn or increase the air fuel mixture in a way to make the truck idle go up?

I ought to try and fix the brakes next but I want to mess with the tail lights, turn signals, brake lights(wait no brakes) and headlights.

I cleaned the interior a little bit and the bed(inside the body) a little bit, and the engine bay a little bit, and the exterior a little bit.

Where and how do i post photos and videos?

ImageDSC01191 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

ImageDSC01206 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

ImageDSC01173 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

ImageDSC01174 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

ImageDSC01160 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

ImageDSC01163 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr

https://youtu.be/gKigOCSELTw
It seems like you have a lot of work to do for this truck. Hopefully, everything will go well with this build, try to keep us posted with the progress.
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

i am here. i installed the brake booster last year. i think i am going to do the intake/exhaust manifold next.
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

gonna drive it. still here.
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

You pick up new tires yet?
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

Oh my gosh! This truck has been sitting so long! I tried to drive it to work one day and the wader pump went out. That was over a year ago. Well the last few weeks I have been home and i replaced the wader pump. Also it had no brakes and the master cylinder was dry. I added a bottle of brake fluid and bled the rear brakes a little bit. Now it has some brakes. Still has same old tires. only one is leaking air. but they have tubes and the tires are really dry rotted.

i sprayed "patina juice" on her. it's still sticky. made the truck very dark coloured. but it rained today and wader was beading up on the hood. it's probably protecting the metal somewhat. i need to build a carport/garage for her. I uploaded some new photos. also before the wader pump went out i took her on a test drive and got going really fast down hill. the roll pin sheared in the distributor again and i blew a big hole in the muffler. it is a 300 straight six engine. I still need a muffler and maybe exhaust manifold gasket.
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

I didn't tell you that i stole the carburetor off another engine. So i was having carb issues as well as rusty gas tank issues. i got an engine from a 1977 Ford truck to go in my 1983 F100. It's also a 300 inline six. I stole the carb and put it on the F500. Running better than ever with this carburetor.

In the past few days I drove her up and down the highway in front of my trailer and got her up to 45 mph. i might take her 2 miles to church or 5 miles into town soon. i moved out to the country a month ago. i'm selling my house in the city. I already moved all my vehicles out here. 1979 GMC C20, 1983 F100 short bed and also my 1993 Ford Festiva. I got a big pile of lumber ready to build a carport/shed/garage for my vehicles. I have just been mowing the grass and wadering my trees for the past month. i haven't been out to this property for a couple years.
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

well i couldn't resist any longer and i drove the truck six miles to town and put some gas in it and in my gas can.

I drove about 40 mph most of the way but when i got less than two miles from home i drove it to 50 mph.

there is a hole in the muffler so it's kind of loud. i feel like 50mph may be this trucks top speed. i wonder what
rpm she is at at 50mph?

i was going downhill about 60 or 65 when the roll pin sheared in the distributer and i blew a hole in the new muffler.
i'm worried about the roll pin shearing again. it sheared twice since i got the truck and that's the reason it was parked.
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Lets see some pics of the Texas countryside, shed building etc.
It’s easy now to post the pics here - no resizing. Kieth fixed it.
I’m still up here in Bremerton Wa, watching it get filled ip with “progress”.
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

okay i have a way to post pictures. i don't know the other way. i got a nice one last night.

i'm building a shed or shelter or something but I want a storage/garage/carport also. short term project to keep stuff out of the rain.

i'm thinking maybe i can fine a tire shop to fix or replace my tube in that one tire that doesn't hold air. also maybe i can get a new muffler.
i just can't spend much money right now. i blew up the old muffler. i wonder if i could just wire it closed for now. i think the seam just split open.

Thank you for commenting. i have been back only a short time. but want to drive the truck soon to cruise nights or car shows.

it handles so bad though. not sure if there is something serious wrong or it's just kind of normal and bad roads. i would like to go at least 50 mph if i can.
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

jzjames wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:07 pm Lets see some pics of the Texas countryside, shed building etc.
It’s easy now to post the pics here - no resizing. Kieth fixed it.
I’m still up here in Bremerton Wa, watching it get filled ip with “progress”.

Hey I lived in Seattle for a short time in 1998. i bet it's all destroyed now.
i lived in Capitol Hill in my cousin's apartment in his [censored]. And I rode my bicycle all over the place from February to
April. I got soaked in a downpour one time. The other times it was nice and cool.

But here is a photo of the sunset last night and my sister's van. We are in a drought but the pipeliners tore up my front yard.

Imagesunset 001 by Daniel Olinick, on Flickr
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

You can fix shot mufflers. Got a pop rivet gun and some sheetmetal? I’ve don that.
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

Just a thought, your carb should have a governor, if not, that may be causing the roll pin issue. It is not uncommon for them to be removed, mine is, just keep from revving it.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

i'm thinking about the pop rivet muffler repair. i think it might be hard to reach the seam without taking the muffler out.

i'm sure it's welded in so i would have to cut it out. not sure.

about the roll pin. i drove the truck into town again. i haven't driven her over 50 mph. mostly i kept it at 40-45. maybe 50 mph is the
top speed. it won't need a governor.

i spoke with the tire shop. they said a tube is $23 and labor is $40. maybe i can get the tube replaced.

However this morning the battery was dead. something was draining the battery last night or the alternator went out. The battery never died before.
I was cranking it a lot because i think the fuel is not staying in the carburetor overnight. it only starts right away when i pour a little gas in the carb.

i just drove it 12 miles round trip into town yesterday. Today the battery was dead. over the past month or past few weeks i have been starting the truck every day and never needed to jump start it. never had a dead battery.
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

well it looks like a bad positive cable connection. i tightened it. needs a new wire i guess. the old wire is corroded. i jump started it and tightened the cable.
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck