turn signal issue

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

takehikes

turn signal issue

Post by takehikes »

had to repair windshield wiper leaks and now no turn signals.
I have headlights and tail lights, emergency flasher flashes front and rear, brake lights good.
I have power to both sides of each fuse (by the way the factory schematic shows 3 fuses on the panel, I have 5 and my truck is bone stock, what gives?).
It appears no power getting to the turn signals and I didnt touch them.
Of course I was in the dash so I did something!
1968 F100 SWB Flareside, 240-6, 3 speed, 3.70 rear, bone stock and rust free.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: turn signal issue

Post by cep62 »

First check the flasher can, it's different than the 4 way flasher.

then check for power going into the column .
I'm assuming your 4 way switch is in the glove box not the column ?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

As for the number of fuses shown on the diagram, it only shows 3 because those are the ones that are in the lighting circuit on that diagram. They left out the other fuses for clarity. Since you were working on your wipers, I'm assuming you removed your gauge cluster and probably unplugged the wiper motor. If you'll notice, the power source for the turn signals actually comes from the wiper switch connector, through the instrument cluster connector and to/from the turn signal flasher on wires #8 (orange/yellow), #950 (black) and #44 (blue). Check for power at all of those connections.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
takehikes

Post by takehikes »

I'll have to check.
Did by accident discover something odd (I think). I was using my tester and checked the turn signal flasher just seeing if any power was going to it. It had power to one side but I thouched the other and it started clicking. Is that normal or am I missing something? Thanks for the help.....and yes I had the whole damn dash apart. I'm going to go see if the dash connector is loose at all since it is damn sure old and brittle.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

takehikes wrote:Is that normal
yes , the test light is enough of a circuit
takehikes

Post by takehikes »

It was a blue wire. It was not part of the big instrument panel connector though as it shows on the schematic. It had its own connector and I have pulled it apart unaware of it. Plugged it back in and all is well. While I was at it I wired up my drivers side spotlight I recently picked up.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Glad you got it figured out! Spotlight's cool! Got photos?
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.