Power Steering Pump Trouble

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

allquieton

Power Steering Pump Trouble

Post by allquieton »

(cross posted at another forum)

1970 F100 390

Power steering was working but had a leak. Got a seal kit for the pump/reservoir. Replaced o-rings and gasket. Put pump back on and no power steering at all. Maybe I put it back together wrong? I see no fluid movement in the reservoir when truck is running. Looked at an exploded diagram and I think it is put together correctly. Any ideas?

I also replaced a hose that runs from the center of the pump/reservoir (the silver threaded fitting) to the steering box.

One more question...With the pump removed. If I set the pump/reservoir down, so the pulley is on the table (see photo below) Fill it with fluid and spin the pump on the pulley, it should pump fluid out of one of the two fitting openings. Is that correct? I reassembled it and am trying to figure out how to test the pump without putting it back on the truck.
ps pump.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Power Steering Pump Trouble

Post by 390FE1972 »

I don't know how you would test the pump without putting it back on, but here is a PDF that has excellent information in it:

https://www.fordification.com/downloads ... gnosis.pdf

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
allquieton

Post by allquieton »

helpful info- thanks!
allquieton

Post by allquieton »

I was thinking that manually spinning the detached pump should pump fluid out the return fitting. Or am I missing something?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

allquieton wrote:I was thinking that manually spinning the detached pump should pump fluid out the return fitting. Or am I missing something?
Assuming you could properly orient it and spin it fast enough it should discharge some fluid out the pressure port (the center one with the metal line). The return line should simply go straight back in the reservoir.

Though, my experience is mostly with Saginaw pumps and quite a while ago, it is a bad idea to turn them backwards because of the way the vanes wear and I feel the same would be true of the slippers in a Thompson pump.

What are you using for fluid?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
allquieton

Post by allquieton »

automatic transmission fluid
BayStYAt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BayStYAt »

i rebuilt mine and installed in the truck. worked great