After market wiring harness

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

70xlt

After market wiring harness

Post by 70xlt »

1970 ford XLT short bed, what is a good aftermarket wiring harness? Several signs of the old wiring performance so wish to replace and new dash if reasonable prices.

Thanks
70xlt
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: After market wiring harness

Post by 390FE1972 »

I have not replaced my wiring harness, but I have heard good things about this harness. Here is a quote from one of the members on this website "I understand the 'best' kit out there with factory Ford connectors is Centech:" http://www.centechwire.com/Ford-Wiring- ... -K-40F.htm

Hope this helps :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

I used the Centech harness on my 71 Bronco and it has performed flawlessly for 10 years. I'd recommend the Centech or Painless. The Centech instructions were a bit vague at times but, after reading and re-reading it all went together great. The nice thing about it is, no more PO wiring hacks to deal with.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"markguiver"]I used the Centech harness on my 71 Bronco and it has performed flawlessly for 10 years. I'd recommend the Centech or Painless. The Centech instructions were a bit vague at times but, after reading and re-reading it all went together great. The nice thing about it is, no more PO wiring hacks to deal with.
Mark.

Don't I remember guys stating the "painless" harness still has to be spliced into the existing end connectors where they terminate at the switches? Randy didn't you do a painless wiring harness?
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

basketcase0302 wrote:Randy didn't you do a painless wiring harness?
Nah. I got the EZ Wiring kit. I'm going with primarily aftermarket everything electrical so I expected to have to do a lot of splicing anyway. I got it new in the box from a member here for $50 so I couldn't pass it up, regular price $185. Haven't gotten that far in my project yet but don't expect a lot of problems with it.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Wow...for $50 you stole that Randy LOL! :thup:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:hd: :D
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

As an aside; I cringe a little bit when I hear of people wanting to install a whole new wiring loom. Arent you creating alot of extra work?
How messed up is the factory wiring? Cant it be cleaned up and restored? It seems to be a pretty simple wiring harness in these trucks.
My first take would be to try to salvage the factory wiring. Just my :2cents:
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

For me, it just made more sense + the great deal I got on the harness kit. Since I stripped my cab for prep/paint and will be upgrading my alternator to 3G in addition to adding quite a bit of new accessories and equipment, the factory harness would have been more work to adapt and the OEM 6 fuse panel would be inadequate for the tasks. If I was keeping her stock and original, now would be great time to inspect and repair.
Randy
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"jzjames"As an aside; I cringe a little bit when I hear of people wanting to install a whole new wiring loom. Arent you creating alot of extra work?
How messed up is the factory wiring? Cant it be cleaned up and restored? It seems to be a pretty simple wiring harness in these trucks.
My first take would be to try to salvage the factory wiring. Just my :2cents:

My exact sentiments/feelings on this.
No disrespect intended for anyone, but I guess we have to realize some folks just aren't as savvy at troubleshooting and working on wiring? :hmm:
It's how I got my username from my 76' Early Bronco that someone had given up on due to it frying Duraspark boxes, (the wiring harness).
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
vallen

Post by vallen »

Personally, I wish I could keep the factory wiring harness! However, 50 years does a number on old-school plastics and rubber. Oh and then there was a PO in the lineup that decided to hack, splice, wire-nut, and duct tape a 1980's stereo system, and other aftermarket dorkyness. Nonetheless, the wiring is a scary jumble of spark-weave on many of these old trucks.
My plan is to re-wire subsystems as needed, since the entire harness job feels overwhelming.
Any tips are appreciated!
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Wiring has always intimated me. But honestly, as I took my truck apart, I completely removed my wiring harness. After I got it out, it wasn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. If I was faced with a butchered up harness I would totally remove it and lay it out on the floor or workrbench. Then strip all the tape/loom off of it and inspect every inch, repairing/replacing as I went. You'll probably find 95% of it is fine and only a few things need fixing. As I stripped it, I would replace the tape with zipties every few inches to keep it grouped together as it was for reinstalling.
Randy
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"sargentrs"Wiring has always intimated me. But honestly, as I took my truck apart, I completely removed my wiring harness. After I got it out, it wasn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. If I was faced with a butchered up harness I would totally remove it and lay it out on the floor or workrbench. Then strip all the tape/loom off of it and inspect every inch, repairing/replacing as I went. You'll probably find 95% of it is fine and only a few things need fixing. As I stripped it, I would replace the tape with zipties every few inches to keep it grouped together as it was for reinstalling.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You just nailed it Randy, (the way i got my username)!
I bought my old school square 76' Ford Bronco and it had one headlight and one brakelight working on it when I bought it. And...it was frying Duraspark electric ignition boxes at a price of around $50 per box when you hit a bump! The PO had pierced the wiring harness with a screw, (and I had no idea where) until I yanked the entire harness out and found the wire under the dash by unraveling the electrical tape off of the entire wiring harness! That was when my late Navy buddy Bart coined my Early Bronco a Basketcase that day and it stuck LOL!

Pain the butt and if I had to do it again.... :hw:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
BayStYAt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BayStYAt »

i just order a custom Centric. I am done with this rat nest spliced dry rotted faded hard/brittle fire hazard!

Mr. Jim at Centric is a cool guy
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Be sure and keep us posted on the kit and progress. Im sure we'd all like to see and hear about it. 8)
Randy