Rear drum brake backing plate

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Rear drum brake backing plate

Post by JoshT »

Just broke my truck and need a little help. Rear wheel separated from axle going down the road. Sheared the lug off. Completely my fault. Found the wheel and currently waiting on a tow.

When it came off the truck came down hard on the brake backing plate. Haven't gotten it into the air to look yet, but pretty sure I'm going to need a new backing plate. Using Google I see a lot of Ford 9" backing plates listed, but can't tell which one is right.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the correct drum brake backing plate for a stock 1968 F-100 4x4 9" rear axle?

While I'm asking what are the correct wheel studs?
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Rear drum brake backing plate

Post by cep62 »

I can't help on the backing plate there are a lot of options and I believe there is even a difference between 2wd and 4wd.

The wheel studs are 1/2 inch 20 thread.
but there can be a difference in the knurled end that fit into the axle. (of coarse )
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Your backing plate shouldn't be that hard to find. I'm betting that you'll find a lot of ford 9" from the bump thru the dent era should match. I'd owned 71' / 72' / 75' / 76' / 78' / 79' and early Bronco Ford 9" rear axles and never remember seeing much of any difference at all.
Is the axle tag still attached to the axle (doubtfully I know)-or last resort by pulling the other side apart for comparison. :pray:

Like CEP62 said above for the wheel stud or hammer one of the old studs out of the axle shaft for comparison Josh, (and almost any big box auto parts should have the stud in the "help" section hanging up.

Rear axle ID page(s):
http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford01.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

NumberDummy over on FTE gave me the OEM part number for the backing plate, C8TZ-2211-C, and apparently there is only one available at 1 obsolete parts dealer. Called them earlier today left my name and number, they were going to check warehouse to verify they have it and call me back. That was about 11:30 am local and I never heard back. I'm going to shoot them an email to follow up in case I left the number wrong, but I'm thinking they probably didn't have it.

The years he gave me for that part number were 68-73 only, and 4x4 only for 73. I don't know what differences there were that required a new part number and don't have any place that I can go look at later models to compare. For all I know they drilled one extra hole and gave it a new part number, or they could changed the offset by a half inch. I appreciate what NumberDummy does, but OEM part numbers don't always cover what can work.

The axle tag is still attached assuming that it is the original tag and original to that axle. I did look that up in the tech library and all it says is what I already know. Tag reads as follows:

WDM-W
3 50 8CB 305

I can actually pull the damaged side for comparison. Most of it is still there, but the bottom inch or so was ground off by the asphalt and probably got bent when it hit. Problem is I don't have access anything else to compare it to. Will probably be a week before I could get pictures, currently changing engine in other truck in the afternoons after work and hunting season opens next weekend.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

No luck with the obsolete parts dealer. Guess I'm looking for used or another option.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

I can check my stock tomorrow. Is there a Bendix number on it as well?
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

That's the only number I have available, it was provided by NumberDummy on FTE. I looked it up on google and our MPC was the first result. I don't recall seeing a Bendix P/N in anything I read. Existing damaged plate is still on the truck and it isn't clean enough to try to find a number on it, won't have a chance to work on it before next week.

I believe that I have a used one on the way from somebody on the "Fixem Your Way" Facebook group. He's supposed to be shipping it out in the morning and getting me a tracking number.