Sppedometer Inop

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

wartmeister

Sppedometer Inop

Post by wartmeister »

F100 IL6 240cid 3 spd manual RAN E1 transmission (K078684)

At the final stages of a total rehab. Transmission is original and was not rebuilt. New speedometer cable, drive gear, and gauge.

Problem: Speedometer inop. Did all the typical troubleshooting...cable is seated on both ends and everything works fine with a drill on the transmission end. Inserted the cable into the tranny for a test drive and indicated steady zero on the speedometer at all speeds. No indications of transmission issues.

When I put my finger into the hole where the cable connects to the transmission, it seems that the internal gear is offset a little bit to the rear/right which could keep the speedometer drive gear from seating with the gear inside the transmision. Is this possible? If so, does anyone have a remedy short of transmission teardown?
mmerlinn

Re: Sppedometer Inop

Post by mmerlinn »

First, what does Lnop mean?

Most likely the drive speedometer gear is not located in the correct position. Maybe a missing/broken snap ring/clip. Another possibility is that the drive speedometer gear is turning on the shaft indicating a missing clip/ball. You will need to remove your tail housing and check your drive speedometer gear.
mmerlinn (http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/makeridx.htm)

"People who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Steven Raymond
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

"Inoperative"
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
wartmeister

Post by wartmeister »

Sorry...aviation jargon. INOP = inoperative = doesn't work at all. And i guess I need to check spelling better.

Will get the tail housing off next week and get back. Thanks.
sparky72

Post by sparky72 »

LNOP is a California term. It means, “Like, not operational.” :wink:
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
wartmeister

Post by wartmeister »

Hah!

i know its been a while. I had difficulty getting the transmission tail section removed. When did, it was easy to see the problem. the 3/26" ball bearing and snap ring that held the speedometer drive gear in place were both missing. Got'em, installed them and all works as it should. Thanks for the assist.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Congratulations! 8)
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.