rats nest

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
striker

rats nest

Post by striker »

Does anyone know of anyone in the PORTLAND OR. area that works on wiring ?. I found a rats nest of wiring under dash, needs to be sorted out so I can get my gas guage working, and my brake lights. At one point I was able to test the guage and it works fine, I get the pulse thing when I test it the other way, then all of a sudden I cant get same reading, so must be a bad wire in the mess and I am not good enough to go pulling wires to find out where it is. I am hopin to find someone that can do some tracing for me, I might be able to fix it, I just need to know what and where. Thanks.
capeclassics

re: rats nest

Post by capeclassics »

You'll probably get a source or two from members in your area but it's probably a good idea to get a color coded wiring diagram for your rig....they are readily available on ebay.
I had the local stereo house install a aftermarket radio tape deck and when I first drove it at night I discovered my dash lights no longer worked.So I take it back to the guy who installed the radio.When I went back to pick it up he had removed this huge wad of wires from behind the dash.Now everything works just fine.Go figure.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

not exactly in the portland area, but 40 miles north.
Art's Electric
1320 industrial way
longview, Wa
has done a number of my friends hot rods, boats and project rigs. never heard a bad thing about them.

as for a wiring diagram, in-house is always a good place to start....
http://www.fordification.com/wiring.htm
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

If it's really a mess, maybe you would be better off replacing the wiring harness. You can probably pick one up on eBay or at your local wrecking yard. You can get the two pieces from the instrument cluster forward.
jor
striker

Post by striker »

Thanks for all the ideas will look into them and pick one that works best for me, thanks again, I will let you know what I decide and how it turns out.
JOHN
splavin90

Post by splavin90 »

72hiboy4x4 wrote:not exactly in the portland area, but 40 miles north.
Art's Electric
1320 industrial way
longview, Wa
has done a number of my friends hot rods, boats and project rigs. never heard a bad thing about them.

as for a wiring diagram, in-house is always a good place to start....
http://www.fordification.com/wiring.htm
how much does it cost for them to rewire?