headlights turn off and back on while driving

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

72bumbee
Preferred User
Preferred User

headlights turn off and back on while driving

Post by 72bumbee »

My headlights have on occasion, cut out, then back on again in a very sporadic fashion. I've replaced the bulbs,the dimmer switch and the light switch itself, all to no avail.
I always drive with my lights on,so during the day i have no way of knowing if the cut out or not.

The last time they cut out,I was driving to work in the early morning and it was dark outside. I smelled a toasting electrical smell, almost likr burning brake smell, then the lights went out for about 4 seconds then back on and stayed lighted the rest of my trip. I do remember smelling this before while driving during the day and thought nothing of it, because i didnt realize if the lights had cut out or not.
any ideas?
Any tips or tricks?
Any warnings ?
that toast smell seemed to be coming from behind the seat, as you know that is where the gas tank is..... but it could have been coming from below and the vent air was blowing it up behind me... im sort of at a loss as to where to start looking?

:fr:
“To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.”
Mark Twain

1972 F-250 Camper Special. 360 A/T P/B AND a DANA 60 Rearend!
Former owner of dads 1967 F-100. It has gone home to the big road in the sky...
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: headlights turn off and back on while driving

Post by 390FE1972 »

I had a 1967 Mustang that did this, I would be driving along at night and my lights would go out. It did this for a while, and I finally found the wires were shorting as two wires that had no insulation would occasionally touch causing my headlights to go out. I finally found it when there were sparks going off from the wires, it burned up some of my wires and I had to have it repaired at the shop. This was back in the 1970's so I don't remember all the details. My suggestion is disconnect the negative cable on the battery and give it a visual inspection for any potential bad wiring, as a start.

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
72bumbee
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: headlights turn off and back on while driving

Post by 72bumbee »

Thanks for your insight!
I’m going to pull the gauge face and get a better look at it. Seems like it would be somewhere under there and in front of me the way it smells when the blink out. My main concern is a fire breaking out under there!
“To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.”
Mark Twain

1972 F-250 Camper Special. 360 A/T P/B AND a DANA 60 Rearend!
Former owner of dads 1967 F-100. It has gone home to the big road in the sky...