68 Ranger Grille Restored With Bright Dip Anodize

Moderator: FORDification

cstoyer

68 Ranger Grille Restored With Bright Dip Anodize

Post by cstoyer »

I just finished the assembly of my 68 Ranger Grille.
IMG_7999.jpg
Assembly
IMG_8001.jpg
Passenger Side
IMG_8002.jpg
Center with badge

Hope to finish paint work and get it back on the frame so I can get this on the truck

CStoyer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68 F250 4x4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 68 Ranger Grille Restored With Bright Dip Anodize

Post by sargentrs »

Very nice!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MAK »

Very nice! :thup:
Landry

Post by Landry »

Wow, that looks better than any grill I have seen or remember! Can you remove some of my ignorance and discuss the restoration process and cost...of I assume new “Brite Dipping”.

Thanks in advance
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Landry wrote:Wow, that looks better than any grill I have seen or remember! Can you remove some of my ignorance and discuss the restoration process and cost...of I assume new “Brite Dipping”.

Thanks in advance
The grill I had was rough at best with dents, scratches, bent bars and rusty attachment points.

To restore it the original bright dip was removed in the areas first that needed attention, the dented areas. Then I did some hammer and dolly work, and some hand work to straighten the bars and get the grille to its original shape. Once it was that far the grille was sent out to MCB in Capac Michigan for final bright dip removal, additional dolly work, polishing, mounting bracket removal and application of the new bright dip finish to the grille and headlight doors. After the finish was applied the brackets were stripped and shot black and riveted back to the grille along with the application of the black accent to the grille. The outside cost to remove the original bright dip, polish, apply a new bright dip finish and apply the paint is not cheap. It was $900 dollars for the grille and $100 for each headlight door. I have seen others do this process on the west coast and it was more in the $1600-dollar range. However, try to by a true 68 grille that looks like this one or one that has gone through the same process and I think you are going to spend more than that. I could be wrong but before DC started to re-pop the 67-69, (really a 69 grille) the price for a decent piece was high.

CStoyer
68 F250 4x4
Landry

Post by Landry »

Thanks for the information on the work. The results speak for the quality of the restoration. Cost not too bad considering the time/effort vs the cost of a “re-pop” grill which is rarely as good as an original. I still think yours is much better than Ford made the originals!

My only worry would be the rest of my truck not deserving a grill that nice!
chicof100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by chicof100 »

Very nice work.
I've been reconditioning grilles for over ten years. I do not bright dip as it would not be cost effective for me. When I complete a grille, it's reconditioned and complete just like you did. I've done over 500 grilles in my time. Many people know my work. "Robert the grille guy"
I recently went to Pigeon Forge Tennessee for the F100 Reunion and was able to see at least six of my grilles on trucks there. I was able to meet three owners who bought my grilles, all were very happy.
When my grilles are done the new owner can bright dip or simply polish it when washing their truck. To some it's a chore to have to polish. To others they love the fact that it won't get dull over time. I recommend a polish and sealer when using one of my grilles. I currently have the last one for sale on ebay. I was originally going to use this one on my desk project, but medical issues have kept me from doing what I love doing.
Polishing a grille takes skill and nerves of steel, not an easy job.
I don't know how to post pictures on this site, but you can check out the one on ebay.
1964 f100
292 yblock
1969 Ranger
Loving all ford vehicles