PaPa's 69 F100 Explorer Coyote 10R80 swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: PaPa's 69 F100 Explorer Coyote 10R80 swap

Post by Venomous duck »

Here are the old support mounts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

I purchased the mounts from Dennis Carpenter. I installed them but they are are flat. The original ones have a raised center that fits down in the frame to locate the support. I think these would be fine if you were replacing them one at a time but it was causing problems for me. I decided to see if I could reuse the old bushing and parts or combine the new kit with the old parts.
DSC_6863.JPG
DSC_6864.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Next I had to find a way to trim down the washer to the correct size.
DSC_6866.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

The bushings that have the raised portion were good enough to reuse. The other bushings were starting to crack. The new bushings are the same thickness and outer diameter. The diameter of the center hole is way to small. If I could find a way to make the hole bigger then these will work.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Next I zinc plated all the washers then painted the the orange ones. I used the new bolts and washers, zinc plated them as well.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Really nice work.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Thanks
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Next I put in the radiator. I had already bought a radiator for the FE engine. The upper hose flange is 1-3/4 and the lower is 2.00. I started thinking I could adapt it down to the 1-1/2 of the Coyote. I am really over budget and need to save money if I can.
DSC_6875.JPG
DSC_6876.JPG
DSC_6877.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

I got a hose adapter from Power By The Hour so I would have more flexibility in fitment.
DSC_6878.JPG
DSC_6879.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

I then tried putting the upper on the lower and the lower on the upper.
DSC_6880.JPG
DSC_6882.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

I decided that trying to adapt the radiator was going to complicate things. I would rather not have to custom build a replacement hose when the hoses do need to be replaced (although I doubt that will be my problem). I ordered another radiator with 1.500 inlet\outlet. Looks Like another new part going to go up for sale at some point.
DSC_6887.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

On to the FEAD. I purchased the kit from Turn Key Powertrain.com. It comes with a Sanden SD7 compressor and a PSC P/S pump. What I like about it is a direct bolt on. I can use the Boss alternator kit that the engine came with, and it does not require moving the alternator and running it backwards which requires a new pulley and grinding on the new engine. It also may make mounting fans more problematic due to the tight space created on the passenger side of the engine. What I don't like is with the PS pump mounted where it is I will have to spend more time fiquring out the hoses and cooler set up. I was planning on Hydroboost but that seems unlikely at this point.
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

The directions were very good up to a point. There is no mention about the bracket for the reservoir. I thought a page may been left out. I downloaded the instructions from the website. This was no help. I fiqured it out after a few minutes but it was not obvious.
DSC_6890.JPG
DSC_6892.JPG
DSC_6895.JPG
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

I have been away for a while due to major repairs and maintenance that need to be done on my home. As soon as it was too cold to work outside I was able to get back on the project. On with the overdue update. My intent was to continue getting the engine to fire up. I tried to install the headers and discovered the flanges were rocker shaped. They fit tight in the center but the outer flanges were about 3/8" from contacting the head. I sent them back to Fat Fender Garage. Of course they took care of it but it took months. Anyway I decided to move on to the rust repairs to the cab.
Cab Bottom 1.jpg
Clean floor pan 2.jpg
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

It needs repair to most of the normal areas, cab mounts, floor pans, rockers, floor brace, inner and outer cab corners. I am very lucky the rust is relatively minor when compared to many others I have seen. The next thing I did was build a simple jig to locate the cab mounts. I don't know yet if this was a good idea or a waste of time. At some point I will find out.
Mount Jig 4.jpg
Mount Jig 2 (2).jpg
Mount Jig 2.jpg