My Project revived

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Nickabocker

Re: My Project revived

Post by Nickabocker »

Slowly plugging away on the truck the last couple weeks. It is amazing to me how many "small" details there are when reassembling a this project. There was a few times I would get something put in to only take it back out, add or redo something, and put it back in. But progress is progress and I just have to remember to slow down, lay it out and then put it in. So what have i done the last couple of weeks?

1.completed the cab and engine bay wiring for the american auto wire harness. Did swap my factory cluster out of the housing for my new Dakota digital VHX series as well.
2. Had the steering column sand blasted, after getting it back i went ahead and painted the column, followed by a full bearing replacement and new turn signal switch. After this I installed it in the truck to only fight with it for a day or so to discover i forgot to put the collar on the bottom of the shaft that helps retain the lower bearing :oops: Ended up removing it again to fix my mistake and then back inside the truck it went.
3. Repaired the cracks in my steering wheel the best i could using some epoxy putty followed by some nice Wimbledon white paint to match the steering column. Looks like I forgot to get the plastic piece for the bottom of the horn ring but that is minor and can get that at a later date. Speaking of the horn once the column was put together I of course wanted to test..... :cuss: and it didn't work! after some diagnosing I found that i needed to add the ground strap around the rag joint. Once I did that i found it to work just fine, however the horn ring wont trigger it so a little more investigation might be needed but on a brief look it appears the brush might be sitting to low in the steering weel?
4. Painted my air filter housing and set it on the engine for now without a filter
5. Installed my led headlight kit from D's Nuts (Doug Beam)- really impressed with this kit, lights are bright, in my case they are direct wired into the harness (no relays) mainly because of the new auto wire harness.
6. Installed the original radio which took a bit since wires needed to extended. Also utilized my factory, or at least original, speaker in the dash.
7. Installed the glove box door and new liner as well as the hazard switch
8. rebuilt the seals in the heater box, waited for some parts from various supply houses to get the job complete but they finally showed end of last week so now the heater box is set in place and ready for use.
9.Decided to use the dash pad that came with my new cab, while cracked it wasn't as bad as my original one and unfortunately reproductions are just so damn expensive that i deiced to wait to get that until a later date. maybe ill just put a black carpet pad on top to hide its ugliness for now.
10. After a little bit of searching I found a cargo lamp switch for the truck (knob that pulls out and glows red). My original cab didn't have a cargo lamp and I didn't really want to fill the hole in the new cab. It did come with a Cargo lamp switch but it was a toggle that illuminated a red light on the dash, didn't seem as cool as the style i ended up putting in.
11. Finally laid the carpet in place, cut some holes, cussed a little and then finally got to a point i felt the carpet would look okay once the seat was installed. still need to get the screws that hold the shift boot down but its at least prepped
12. Tightened the rear cab mounting bolts in place, followed by the gas tank being installed and connected to at least the steel fuel line and wires. I need to replace the rubber hose that ran underneath the cab to the fuel pump
13. Should be higher on the list but i did end up doing a 3G alternator upgrade using a 94 ford mustang 130 amp. When doing this with a American Auto wire Harness you can buy a new pigtail for the 3G alternator the converts it to a GM SI plug on there harness. Makes it really nice to keep splices and what not to a minimum.
14. Another one that was higher in the list. I did get the new courtesy lights installed that i think will really make the interior bright at night.

Finally last night seeing a mostly put together cab I really wanted to see how it would look with my newly upholstered seat. The biggest thing i wanted to see was how close the white on the seat matched the steering wheel and column. A quick placement and a couple of pictures later I was pretty happy and can't wait to get this thing moving along even further.

Now onto my upcoming list of things to do.

1. Install the windshield
2. Finish the belt line trim around the back of the cab, was a little nervious since i have to drill the rivet holes since the cab didn't have it originally. I did drill a corner one already and that was nerve racking.
3. Clean up the engine bay wiring
4. Back to body work and get the front fenders completed so they can hang on the truck
5. Doors need to be blasted and painted, I am hoping some bondo work will make it strait and that the cancer is minimal
6. Hood still needs prepped and painted

Once all of the above are done I will move on to the bed. After that there are a couple of small details such as finding stock wheels and caps for the truck, headliner in the cab still and getting it tuned to run.

Well I think that's it for this update. Thanks for reading my long winded post! :fr: As usual I have so many photos its easier to just click the link below and check them out! :D I even included a video or two this time

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a3aShXyHH7J6gMvCA
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Impressive progress! Love the colors! :clap: 8)
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Nice.

I’m real interested in how that cluster works.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

Wow it has been a while since my last post. So lets see what has been completed since the end of may.

1. Got the fenders painted and hanging on the truck (i have them set loose waiting for the door alignment and hood alignment before setting permanently.
2. Purchased a air filter housing sticker and put it in place, kind of helps drive the stock look im going for.
3. Officially mounted the battery hold down kit and tray
4. Tuned the engine just little bit more after bleeding the power steering setup. Still needs a little more once the exhaust is put into place.
5. Decided it was time to work on the brakes, ran all new lines, installed a brake booster and new master cylinder, rebuilt the block down on the frame and bled the brakes. *** still need to work on this a little noticed when testing the brake booster my Brake indicate light on the dash was illuminated so might run the vacuum bleeder one more time to see if i get some more out :hmm: **** Even had the wife helping strip the old and build the new.
6.Started to install door weatherstripping
7. Sent the bed, doors, rear bumper, and hood off to the sand blaster to be stripped. Surprisingly had everything back within 24 hours of dropping it off. Had the sand blaster powder coat the rear bumper for me. While i know the bumper (notably the drivers side) was a little rusty I wanted to keep the bumper and figured the licence plate is going to hide the imperfection from most.
8. Wife decided she wasn't to see more progress on the truck so we spent a couple of days in a row getting front fender trim installed
9. She also said it was time to install the windshield which we did! (I have to say that stainless trim wasn't as bad as i thought it would be until the window sucked in the channel, like it should, and one of the damn pieces of stainless popped out of its channel. So now i have to figure out how to get it in place without taking the whole window out.)
10. Hung the rear bumper in place - Highly recommend the AMK products nuts and bolts i used to install.
11.Started to prime the doors, hood , and the inner door panels, Was fighting the spray gun I had and ended up running to harbor freight and picking up there spectrum line of spray gun and HOLY COW is it a decent sprayer :thup: . Ended up getting the primer and paint laid down in a decent amount of time.
11A- I want to make a not on two things. I know the drivers door isn't perfect, for the condition of the door and all the time I put into it, it is what i was able to do, it is a little wavy on the bottom and indented but my plan is to find a replacement door evenly and swap it. I just can't seem to find a 67 door in my neck of the woods currently. Also You'll see a photo of the hood sanded after being painted brown. We had one hell of a wind storm that came through just a couple days ago that literally popped up in between coats and ruined my initial coat. It got the doors a bit but they had been drying a bit longer so a simple cut and polish should help them.
12. After getting the doors painted I had a buddy help me get them out of the way and get them mounted on the truck loosely to begin the fun times of body gaping!
13. I did also pick up some stock 15" rims from a gentleman who had them already powder coated white (oyster I think is was he called it). I paired them up with some 215/75R15 LT Hancock tires and man do the look good, at least to me Wouldn't be a stock wheel without a hub cap which i purchased a set off Facebook and eBay. Had i read the post on Facebook closer I would have read that it was for a car tire (14") :doh: so i ended up getting another set off eBay that polished up nicely i think :lol: . So if anyone is in need of some NOS hubcaps that fit a car rim let me know i would make you a great deal.
14. I did switch up the paint on my inner door panels, they were supposed to be brown and the the factory hung a white plastic door panel over them? I just can't seem to find the year correct panel that is white. So for the time being i panted the metal white and will put the factory trim around it to help break up the brown interior colors.

Photos- As always I have to many photos to post all at once so here is a google photos link https://photos.app.goo.gl/TnDNFbiDBdjnDEkC9
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Well, that is an update! Funny how the wife can motivate you to get things done.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Boy that looks good!
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great progress!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

Haven't done a terrible lot the last few days but did manage to get the hood in paint and decided to throw the side emblems on that i painted back in August last year. The hood had a gnarly dent on the front drivers nose corner and while not the greatest looking it is way better then it was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jsupreme

Post by Jsupreme »

Wow!!!! I am jealous!!!
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

Your doing a fantastic job, keep it up. Thanks for posting your progress.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

That paint looks real good. Love the tone tone and how well the paint laid down!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Looking good - keep it up! Got a question though - you said you're having a hard time finding a door up there? I lived in Idaho Falls where my wife is from for about 3 years in the early 90's and at that time the junkyards were full of that stuff.........I'm guessing it all got grabbed up or scrapped when metal prices were high?...... :hmm:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:Looking good - keep it up! Got a question though - you said you're having a hard time finding a door up there? I lived in Idaho Falls where my wife is from for about 3 years in the early 90's and at that time the junkyards were full of that stuff.........I'm guessing it all got grabbed up or scrapped when metal prices were high?...... :hmm:
Unfourtently most of the yards around here dont have alot of old truck inventory like they used to. One yard I like to check on occasion has had three the last 9 months but they are not 67s (only 68-72) so the doors don't match the look im going for.

On another note I still haven't had a chance to align the panels but it did get a set of west coast mirrors from Doug Beam and man they make the truck look good :-)
123248516_429696528059478_3556680597024235055_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

Very nice looking truck! 8) I haven't seen many bumpsides in junkyards here in Colorado lately as well.

Regards :drive:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

That's what I figured on the yards......and it doesn't help that the doors were '67 only.....I've got a '67 F250 project truck for when I retire and didn't even think about them being different...... :doh:

Love the look with those mirrors and that 2 tone combo is really sharp......... :thup:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR