My Project revived

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: My Project revived

Post by sargentrs »

8) :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

Well I haven't posted much that few weeks. I have been alittle busy at work and family. However I have been slowly slowly talking a few things on my list. Biggest thing stopping me as of late has been trying to find a donor cab. After really going through the cab I decided a donor would be the route to go and began my search. While I couldn't find a donor locally I ended up getting connected with a guy out of the Seattle WA area who had a 67 cab as well as a vision to take his family to Yellowstone national park. After talking I decided to buy the cab, a rebuilt 352 engine, and he agreed to bring a few other parts I had found in his area to me.

I decided to throw the steering box in the truck (to get the linkage connected at least) and as you can see mock up the new engine block sitting on the truck :D . As you can see it was painted but due to unforeseen circumstances the engine was never fully fully reassembled but I am glad to say the engine spins freely and should work fine for me. It came with fresh heads as well so all I need to transfer over is my intake manifold and a few other basics.

The new cab has alittle rust on the passenger side floor pan but the cab mounts and firewall appear pretty solid. Biggest difference from my original cab to this new cab is the rear window was a sliding rear and there is the "cab bed light installed" (which I have never seen but in a couple photos of other trucks) also a couple minor interior differences with buttons/switches. But all in all it was a 67 which is what I wanted.

I started to prepaid the body panels for primer while I waited for the cab to be delivered as well and so far I have one entire fender done on the top side and began the bottom before my stripping disk decided it wanted to be replaced.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nvpKiquwzUStH4d29
69Highboy

Post by 69Highboy »

That cab looks hauntingly like my old one, but not quite due to the rear window. As I'm a nice guy (no matter what anyone else says) I'll give you a bit of advice I've learned from a bumpside buddy. Unless you have the motivation to disassemble the rear window and re-seal it, put in the solid one. I was told it's a fair bit of time and work to re-seal them and over the course of 50 years I imagine all of them start leaking, and I personally love simple, quick stuff especially involving glass. But, that's just me. Either way, I'll enjoy following this.
1968 F250: Old Whitey. Almost replaced Old Red. Sold.
1968 F250: The Blur. Replaced by New Red. Sold.
1969 F250 4x4: Old Red. 3rd gen family truck. Retired in favor of New Red.
1970 F250: Big Red. One of my brother's many (sold) trucks.
1971 F250 4x4: Yella or "Big Mustard". My truck.
1992 F250 4x4: New Whitey. Sold in favor of Old Red.
2000 F250 4x4 Diesel: New Red. Project hauler extraordinaire.
2015 F350 4x4 Diesel: The White Truck. Wrecked and rebuilt.
2019 F350 4x4: Diesel: White Lightnin'. Workhorse and luxury combined.
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

My plan was to take my solid rear out and replace the slider. Actually I took the rear window out already of the new cab and was surprised how easy it came out.
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

I just wanted to provide an update as its been awhile. Haven't done to much more work but have started to work on the stripping the cab and the front fenders. I also stopped by the upholstery shop to check out the seat insert fabric from SMS and now im getting excited to see the seat be done!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

some more photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

fenders
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Knickabocker, thanks for the good updates/photos/information.
You making a lot of progress and it looks good.
Good luck with it.
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

Was pretty excited to get this back here's a before photo and several after

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mMfFu9zsxnNj4ca57
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

seat looks Great!! Great job on it sir!
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Very nice! :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

That is really nice!
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Very nice! :thup:
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

Found some time over the last couple of weeks to work on the project. I decided to send the cab to be sandblasted to speed up the process and really dig deep into what i have to work with. All in all i was pleasantly surprised to find the some small sections of the floor and one cab mount was the worst of it so i'm glad I bought this cab now. While the cab was out i decided to try and degrease the transmission the best i could and swap out the u joints on the drive line. After replacing one section of u joints I found I had hit it just a hair to hard and knocked the balance weight off the shaft. So after quick trip to the local driveline store I not only had a balanced drive shaft but they replaced the carrier bearing for me as well and finished the u joint swap.

I also took the time to assemble the rebuilt engine I picked up from the cab guy. Everything looked and checked out good so I swapped my intake and heads over to the engine. While I completed the engine I also sent the flywheel out to be resurfaced and had to extract a couple broken bolts from the intake and flywheel. Once this was all down the transmission and engine slid together nicely. Now my only complaint about the rebuilt engine was the gentleman who rebuilt it has passed so i can not ask why but he used rubber expansion plugs on the block. At first this wasn't going to be a problem for me until I went to mount the starter and while it slid in and I was able to run the bolts down; I didn't notice the upper bolt hole of the starter wasn't flush with the bell housing. This caused the bolt when it started to compress the washer to snap the ear off the new starter. Upon inspection i think it was caused by the expansion plug nut protruding just enough to put a bind on the starter; preventing it from sitting flush on that bolt hole.

So i ordered some new brass expansion plugs for the block and will through those in before the engine gets its first start. So last night as i sat there thinking what i could do while i wait i decided to throw the water pump, fuel pump, alternator, fan, and my new power steering pump on to confirm I have right pulleys etc. Quick mock up shows everything fits perfectly but the blue color (was purchased this color from a junkyard) does not match so that will have to change before I torque everything down.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QAwEBPNkzxMcvM9M6
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Looking good!
Randy