Turn signal wiring

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

CJ Perry

Turn signal wiring

Post by CJ Perry »

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some tips on rewiring one of the turn signals on my 1969 F-250 CS. I burned up about three turn signal switches, each on the same switch contact, that being the yellow/black stripe wire for the rear left turn signal. I finally realized that someone along the line had replaced the fuse with a 30A instead of the correct 14A :lol: . I've already replaced the flasher (had an internal short) and switch, plus the bulb, so I'm fairly certain the wire has some kind of intermittent short since I just blew the fuse. What gauge are the factory wires? I am also wondering if there is a way to depin the factory connectors, as well as what style/size the terminals are if so (As a side note, is there a name for them? I want to call them molex but unsure if that's correct). If not I'll settle for splicing in new wire between the connectors.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Turn signal wiring

Post by sargentrs »

The turn signal switch wires in the column are 18 ga. You are correct, the pins are called Molex connectors. They make a tool to remove them but I didn't find it necessary. https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Remove ... 5572&psc=1 If you look closely at the pins you'll see they have small tabs on either side that spread out after they get inserted through the connector. I used an O-ring pick to push the tabs in while pulling gently on the wire from the back side. Be gentle and they'll slide right out. Once out, spread the tabs back out slightly before inserting back into the connector. Be sure and make a map of where they go in the connector before removing. Sometimes photos are not good enough when it's a couple weeks/months/years before you get back to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
CJ Perry

Post by CJ Perry »

Much appreciated! I actually have the tool to depin that style of connector, more what I'm referring to are the ones outside the cab, such as the connector from the harness to the bulb socket. They resemble this style of connector, I've played around with them but have yet to determine a way to remove pins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Oh! Those connectors. Aren't they molded in? I don't think they can be removed. However, I have successfully made short crossover harnesses with jumpers made with regular bullet connectors. Take a pigtail like in your photo and solder male/female bullets on the ends of the loose wires. Then just plug them into the original how you want them.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
CJ Perry

Post by CJ Perry »

That sounds like a pretty good idea! So the connectors are standard bullet terminals I take it? I believe you are correct about them being molded in which is unfortunate, but I can work around it. I don't really want to install new weatherpack connectors on all the wires back there so I think I'll either use your technique or clip the old wire off at the connector and solder a new one on.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Yep, standard bullets. I like to use uninsulated terminals, solder and heat shrink tubing. The regular crimp on type tend to be to big to fit closely and just look ugly IMHO.
Randy