Headliner Question

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Agskam

Headliner Question

Post by Agskam »

Apologies for the strange question. I replaced my headliner a few years ago and when I removed the old one, I did not realize that the screw in the middle of the headliner was proper - I assumed it was installed by previous owner to keep the liner from dropping. While the new headliner is quite stiff and stays in place without the screw, I would like to put one back for good measure. So that I can measure twice and drill once, would someone be kind enough to i) share with me the exact distance across from driver to passenger side and back between windshield to rear so that I can hit the right metal the first time, and ii) send me a pic or description of what the screw looks like (phillips, flat head, washer, no washer, etc.) and screw size? Thanks so much in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Headliner Question

Post by 390FE1972 »

Here is a description of the center headliner screw; it is one inch in length and there is a thin flat head that is 1/2 inch wide. The screw head is flat so it holds the headliner in place, there is no washer as the head is flat like a washer. It takes a small Phillips head screw driver to put it in place. The threads are the diameter and type used in the door sills of your truck. I think your best bet is to find one in the junk yard, as I have not seen these screws elsewhere. I suggest that you pull your headliner down and measure where the hole is for the screw, as you don't want a screw going thru your roof.

Hope this helps! :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

Here's a couple of pictures of the original headliner center mounting screw and the factory spacer block. I have removed many of these from 67 thru 72 ford trucks and they all have this exact setup. I save all of these special screws because I know someone will need them someday.
10 bucks shipped to you.
DSCN3741.JPG
DSCN3742.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
Agskam

Post by Agskam »

Thank you both. Very helpful. Busboy, I will take you up on your offer.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

I sent you a p.m.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
Twisted_Steel

Post by Twisted_Steel »

If you can take the headliner down enough on one side to reach the center mount, apply some lipstick or something similar on the tab and press the headliner back up against it. That way you will have an outline of the screw hole. I had to do that to a friends truck years ago.
Of course you'll have to take the headliner out completely to drill your hole, but that way there is no guess work and the chance to goober it up is highly diminished