Nooberino from Central California

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

sparky72

Nooberino from Central California

Post by sparky72 »

Hi all! Been lurking for a few weeks since I acquired my first project vehicle, a 1972 F250 Ranger XLT. I've always wanted a project car/truck my whole life, since my dad had a couple of 1st generation Camaros when I was younger and I have many fond memories of us toodling around in them :) . As I've gotten older I've gravitated more towards trucks (and Broncos in particular, but that's a future project... :thup: ). Now that I've graduated college and got a "real job," I finally have the coin to pursue a project truck, and when I saw this beaut for sale about an hour away from me, I knew I had to grab it...

Happy as a pig in slop after rolling it off the trailer... :lol:

It's in great condition overall, I think. It does need a head gasket (scads of coolant in the oil) but it starts right up and idles fine. It's a 4 speed manual (T18 I believe?) though it started life as an automatic per the door tag. Whichever PO did the swap seems to have done a good job, though. The wiring on the other hand has left me scratching my head, with some real funky stuff in the engine bay and behind the dash (mystery toggle switches? block of wood with springs on it for a distribution block? no idea...) though that's fodder for another thread. Luckily, with the help of the terrific wiring diagrams here, I've gotten all of the exterior lights working and flashing, as well as the reverse lights!

Best of all, it's never left CA, so no rust to speak of :D When I pulled the carpeting the floorpan looked pristine.

I will likely start a project thread at some point here, with a combination of text, photos, and videos as I move along with the project. For now I'm focusing on getting it back on the road after being on non-op for 4 years or so. It needs the head gaskets and new tires, and I suspect a new clutch (it's chattering as it goes into gear). As I work out mechanical things I'll also be fixing up cosmetics on the interior, like new carpet. Most of the gauges don't seem to work yet either; not sure what's up with that. IPVR perhaps?

Thanks for all the collective knowledge you guys have created here - it's been immensely valuable so far! :fr:

Talk to you guys soon
Taylor
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Nooberino from Central California

Post by sargentrs »

:wel: from Georgia! Nice truck!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Nooberino from Central California

Post by lennyp »

Welcome from Massachusetts. :wel: