Forest Service Truck Coyote Swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

miller

Re: Forest Service Truck Coyote Swap

Post by miller »

Purchased a set of mustang wheel off craigslist. The crown vic wheels that came with my rack had two different size tires so every time i was measuring for reference points it was off. Needed wheels for the back anyways. I am really leaning towards some steelies when truck is done. So made some rear lower trailing arm brackets and got them installed. Center to center of rear trailing arm bolt is @ 33" centered in bushing. I used the outside of the frame and then came in 1/2" on both sides. My frame at that spot measured 34". These brackets are a bit of work. The front rack bushings and control arm brackets all have tack welds now. Outcast make a bolt in bracket that looks really good, but it was a 6 week lead time and $320. Another $320 toward the supercharger!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Outcast Autoworks must have raised his prices......I got the bolt on control arm mounts for mine with the shims for under $200.....and that was last summer...... :eek: ........they are very nice pieces but for that price I think I would have went another route also.......

Looking really good........making me anxious to get mine going....... :thup:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Really nice work. Your brackets look great and fit your application!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
miller

Post by miller »

Just a few updates. Installed a 1" spacer on lincoln rack engine mount so engine is sitting 1.25" higher. This seems like this will work well with good clearance for rack and pinion connections.This also helps hold the tranny off the cross member I had to cut out. It clears by an inch so I will be able to weld that up for strength. I did purchase a stifflers tranny mount and I'm glad I did. Fits very nice and has adjustment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
miller

Post by miller »

Put new upper and lower bearings in for steering shaft.They were very rough. The new bearing and old seem a little hokey to me, but I guess they worked for 50 years.The new lower bearing did not have an interference fit after I cleaned up the housing so I put some JB weld on it. It will also be held in with shaft washer and keeper so should be good.I did find the horn contact was in two pieces so thats why that did not work. I will have to order one. Tomorrow I can put shaft back in and get the steering connect to the rack.
miller

Post by miller »

Pulled bed to get ready for rear end. All bolts came apart, only 1 needs replacement due to corrosion. Saw another post where a guy pulled it out with his hoist and 2x4's. worked good.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

That's a good idea using the 2 X 4's and the hoist to pull off the bed. 8)
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
miller

Post by miller »

I installed steering column and used the intermediated steering shaft that came with the Lincoln front end. I purchased a Borgsen DD to 3/4 smooth steering joint and cut about 3" off truck side steering shaft. Got everything straight and tack welded. I put my steering wheel clearance to column@ 1/16" which seems to be ok. I will do a final weld down the road in case I missed something clearance wise on the install.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Fit looks real good, nice clearance on the header too!
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
miller

Post by miller »

Thanks, I think that will work. I had to put a picture of the rear bed bolts in. Pretty impressive for a 50 year old truck. Also I decided to try a volvo electric power steering pump for my build. The mustang guys are using them and for $95 bucks it worth a go. The other option is spending well over 1K for relocation brackets and engine driven pump.
miller

Post by miller »

I ordered a triangulated 4 link from welder series that will ship next week. It might be a while with the way shipping is backed up right now. I spent a lot of time measuring the rear axle. I did verify the axle bump stop hole is centered on the axle. I am going to do a c notch, but want to wait to get the new rear suspension and axle aligned with that hole. The axle is square in the frame and the wheel base from center of axle to front lincoln rack is within 1/16". I'm happy with that. I am selling the Dana 60 if anyone is interested.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

If that is a Dana60 5 bolt you should get a lot of requested. Those are rare and good axles.
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
miller

Post by miller »

If you mean 5 lug yes 4.10 track loc. Ive had it on craigslist for a couple weeks now. As for power steering I will have to use the factory return line from the Lincoln rack back to reservoir and then I can use the AN6 rack fitting and a AN6 90 degree fitting back to the pump. Moving the engine all the way forward in my engine mount still will not make the return rack AN6 fitting work with the 90. It contacts the oil cooler housing. The volvo power steering pump with be on drivers side mounted to front left core support so I think this should work.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Yes I did mean lug not bolt. I am also surprised you haven't had any bites yet.
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
miller

Post by miller »

I pulled motor back out. Welded all the Lincoln rack mounting bolts and then removed front rack. I got the drivers lower control arm rear mounting plated welded in and the frame cab support cross member cut and tacked back in. I had the original Lincoln front frame so I cut it up and fabricated a close out panel for the drivers Lincoln rack mount tubes. Not sure if I want to use this piece and close it all up or just cut a piece of plate and leave the ends open. My welding skills are a bit rusty, but got better by the end of the day. Tomorrow should go better. The 4 link did ship and should have it next Wednesday.