Forest Service Truck Coyote Swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

miller

Forest Service Truck Coyote Swap

Post by miller »

IMG_1148.jpeg
IMG_1084.jpeg
Found this ex forest service truck in Montana. 1969 short bed with a 240/4 speed. I am really interested in keeping all the patina and putting a coyote in it. I have started to do the research but still have a lot more to do.

Engine. I called PBH and they are sending me a quote. They said to go with a f150 coyote and the auto trans. It would be over 2K savings over the mustang coyote. I do want a manual, but they said its a lot of extra work and the shifter ends up back pretty far in an akward position. Anyone? Is that the case.

Front end. Crown vic. There are a couple on line for about $350. Is that the going price?

Rear end. Not sure. It has a dana 60 in it with 4.10 gears, but I have not seen any body use it in their swaps. This truck is not going to be a race truck, but do want to lower it without cutting bed and a nice ride. It looks like the explorer rear ends are common is that for the spacing and disc brakes?

For the instrument cluster I like the Dakota digital. PBH said everything hooks up nice with that and is pretty much plug and play.

Thanks for the input
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuckRyder

Re: Forest Service Truck Coyote Swap

Post by DuckRyder »

Did I say I love that truck?

You sure it is a Dana 60 and not a 44?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
miller

Post by miller »

Axle says 60 on it and vin is e5.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Dana 60 should be plenty strong... probably a rare option in a 1/2 ton, I would think. I’d be tempted to keep it...

Though particularly with a CV swap an explorer axle probably makes more sense....

Helpful aren’t I... :lol:
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Clapper67

Post by Clapper67 »

$350 is a great deal on a CV front end. I live in so cal and they go for around $550 here. What’s a used f150 5.0 going for? I know the mustang drivetrains are pricy where I’m at.
miller

Post by miller »

F150 5.0 with tranny about 5k on ebay
miller

Post by miller »

Guy said he will take $300 2005 cv front end complete.
Going to pick that up this week!
Aerocoupe

Post by Aerocoupe »

Do a search for “Hackster” and most of your questions will be answered in his build.
miller

Post by miller »

IMG_0047.jpeg
IMG_0048.jpeg
IMG_0049.jpeg
Went to pick up the 05 crown vic front suspension with no issues, removed from driving police interceptor. Well was a little over an hour drive the guy agreed to 300 bucks. Not the shape he thought it was in. I gave him 40 bucks for it being I made the trip, but I think the cradle/crossmember is shot. It's got cancer. If it was attached to the frame not sure I would have seen that. Welcome to the midwest and salted roads!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Keep the Dana 60 - it'll take anything you can throw at it.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
miller

Post by miller »

Maybe just change to 3.73 gears. I guess really the only issue is the different bolt pattern for rims between the crown vic front and the dana 60 rear. Tire rotation won't be an issue those rear tires are going to be replaced frequently with a coyote in it!!

Any mods to put disc brakes on the dana 60?
Aerocoupe

Post by Aerocoupe »

Yeah that cross member is done. That sucks man.
Aerocoupe

Post by Aerocoupe »

Where are you located?
miller

Post by miller »

Kenosha, WI
miller

Post by miller »

Called local salvage yard. They have several cross members in good shape for $100 bucks. I'm going to take a look at them later this week. I tore the unit I bought down and everything else I think I can use with new ball joints and bushings, shocks and coils. I think I would have replaced all those anyways. Hopefully crossmember looks good and then this will be an ok deal $140 for the unit.