Headlight switch position functions needed for parking lamps and tail lights

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

timachone

Headlight switch position functions needed for parking lamps and tail lights

Post by timachone »

Hi guys,

at the moment I am putting the whole wiring of the truck back to original. The last PO has hacked the wiring on some places but all is traceable, no problem. The engine compartment is all back to original, it starts and the horn honks, I am happy :D :thup: I will starting a restoration thread about this soon :wink:

Now to the question:

If I pull the headlight switch to the first position, which lamps are supposed to light on the outside? Parking lamps (turn signal lamps) front and tail lights? Am I right?

If I pull the headlight switch to full (last position), should the parking lamps go out, the headlights go on and the tails lights remain on? Am I right?

If so, I have a bonus-question :D :

How can I change/modify the wiring, that the parking lamps remain on in the full out position of the headlight switch? I am in need of this function because the German laws for street use of cars requires a front non-orange parking lamp which is on in both positions and integrated in the headlights. So after modified to a glowing parking light lamp in both switch positions I would take this control wire and connect it to the German-law-parking lamp :wink:

Any help with this will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :thup:
Tim :drive:

1970 Ford F250 360 FE 2V C6
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V 4-speed
2012 Ford S-Max 2.0 EB AT
2017 Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo MT
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Headlight switch position functions needed for parking lamps and tail lights

Post by sargentrs »

Just add a jumper wire across 2 of the terminals on the headlight switch http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=80348
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
timachone

Re: Headlight switch position functions needed for parking lamps and tail lights

Post by timachone »

Thank you very much, Randy :thup:

I like easy mods like that :D

That said I have a 1970 F250 and according to the wiring schematics they have originally the parking lights/running lights ever on, right?

Therefore I do not have to make the jumper-method but cut wire 984 and connect it to the "German-law-bulb", right?

Wires 2 and 3 are for turn signal operation so leaving them as they are would save the turn signal function of the parking/running lights, right?

According to the schematics the tail lamps are through wire 285 always on, right?

Please give me a short call on the above to confirm my understanding :thup:

Next days I will trace the wiring colors to confirm the above said, too. Next step would be taking pliers, wire, shrinking tube and connectors to make the wiring back to original and reliable again. Luckily there are no original connectors and wires missing, they were only cut and spliced in in somewhat with wires... The last days I removed some feet of unnecessary not original wires the truck do not need any more :wink: That's some liberating feeling :D Will start a restoration thread soon so stay tuned :wink:

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Sorry, didn't realize you had a 1970 model. Yes, your truck originally had the parking lights stay on with the headlights. You seem to have a good understanding of the wiring so just putting it back to its original circuits should give you what you need.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
timachone

Post by timachone »

sargentrs wrote:Sorry, didn't realize you had a 1970 model. Yes, your truck originally had the parking lights stay on with the headlights. You seem to have a good understanding of the wiring so just putting it back to its original circuits should give you what you need.

Thank you very much for the feedback, Randy - very appreciated :thup:

timachone

Post by timachone »

Update:

I have finished the task and have gone through the whole wiring of the truck! All is now as it came from the factory and all is operating like it was intended originally. That's a great feeling :D I have removed lot's of feet of unoriginal wire and repaired some splices and cuts. Everything is like OEM now except one change: for the German law I had to cut the control wire for the front parking lights and took it to a integrated parking light in the headlight. That's a requirement of the German law: the turn signal lights and the parking lights have to be separated lamps and different colors!

But that's all and I am very satisfied with the outcome :thup:

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Congratulations! That's a huge task. :clap: 8)
Randy
timachone

Post by timachone »

Thank you :D

Yeah, it took a while... :wink: