another seat question

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

nooptions69

another seat question

Post by nooptions69 »

Hey all, new here. I'm going to switch out the original 3 speed in my '69 with a late 70's overdrive. My bench seat will not work with the shifter, looking to go to a "set-back" bench seat cushion center to leave room for the shifter similar to the style used in 90's Ranger pickups. Anyone know if this will work, if there are other options, or do I need to go to buckets? I see extensive bucket info in one of the threads here.
Len
'69 F100 4x2 short 300 six stick w/overdrive
'64 Galaxie 500 445 CID 390 Toploader.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: another seat question

Post by 390FE1972 »

Ford full size bench seats up to 1996 will bolt right into our trucks. You might be able to find one of these years that will meet your needs. The bucket seats on the 1967-72 trucks were the mustang bucket seats, they had special mounting brackets. This was a rather rare option on our trucks so they may be difficult to find. Good luck, let us know how this works out for you.

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:wel: from Georgia! Stop by the Welcome Mat, introduce yourself and show us your truck! This will give you some ideas http://www.fordification.com/tech/seats.htm

I decided to go with the factory bucket seat option, '65-'66 Mustang bucket seats, with a modern console/jump seat. It's still a work in progress but here's the design and layout https://youtu.be/Rv0db97P7-g
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
nooptions69

Post by nooptions69 »

Thanks gents, just passed a boneyard this afternoon and spotted a 78 or 79 bronco with interior intact. Worth looking into for the project, like the console idea and looks like the glass was still there (not much else left up in northwest PA!). Will post to the welcome mat once I get my stuff together...
Len
'69 F100 4x2 short 300 six stick w/overdrive
'64 Galaxie 500 445 CID 390 Toploader.
stpackard

Post by stpackard »

Hey Guys, sorry to resurrect a topic. I’m going to use LMC’s low back bucket seats and make the brackets off the design here at fordification. I called TMI and they seemed to say that their seats are based on the mustang 65/66 seats, which leads me to conclude that the brackets would allow for the correct height and angle.. I asked to speak to someone who knew the dimensions of their bracket set and I suppose I should have talked to the sales department instead. LMC’s ‘universal’ kit is barebones simple and would take a a lot of work as it’s some squares and pieces of L irons.
Duplicating the mustang f100 brackets seems probably like a fit and fiddle install especially with the inners, reinforcing the floor from the underside and cutting the bracket around the floor indents (outdents?). I read somewhere there are dimples for the mustang brackets but I’m not seeing any on the cab floor.
I’m doing up the bed and then I’m going to cut up some old front dented bumpers to make the brackets out of as it seems an appropriate thickness. Making the brackets will be one of those fun projects.
Sam
72 f250 4x4 in progress
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I'm putting a center console/jump seat from a 2010 F-150 between my buckets so I build a frame out of 1-1/2" angle iron. Here's some photos and maybe enough dimensions to give you an idea. Still a lot of tweaking to do and I want to lower the back on the jump seat about 6". There are dimples in the floor, on the inside surface of the seat mounting area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sargentrs on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Continued...

The dimples in the floor are about 12"-14" to the inside of the bench seat mounting holes.
bucketseatdimples.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
stpackard

Post by stpackard »

Thanks for the thorough plans and information sargentrs!

Actually X2 for you writeup sand pix of factory AC which I have finished and bagged using a number of your ideas.

I ninnied out and got reasonable (instead of cutting up some old bumpers and fabbing the brackets like I said I was going to do) and ordered the Copperstate components seat brackets for $199 shipped. I figure I’d spend 2-3 days sweating them out and it’s worth it to spend the money on them and time on more pressing details. The LMC ‘universal’ brackets were worthless as teats on a boar so I found the Copperstates identical to Keith’s bucket seat
Bracket designs here on the website.

I drove to LMC and exchanged the universal brackets and ended up buying the $145 highboy ebrake cable set which fits really well FYI. As I am aware this is the only place you can find good fitting highboy E brake cables. They have the angled inlet and long enough springs past the backing plate.

I’m running up the credit card and bought the LMC low back bucket seats whose sliders fit the Copperstate brackets fine. I played with the fitment before drilling and bolting in the inner brackets.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2ttj9aut1zyt ... .jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2hfs2n35zoxv ... .jpeg?dl=0