Clutch Return Spring - 69 F100

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

wartmeister

Clutch Return Spring - 69 F100

Post by wartmeister »

1969 F100 240 IL6 3 spd manual. First time rebuild for me. Didn't take good enough pictures during disassembly and don't remember if there was a clutch pedal return spring in the cab. I did remove a couple springs from the clutch mechanism in the engine bay, though. I have the clutch/brake pedal like the one shown in the attached pictures, so I know mine isn't the only one like that. The Ford diagram shows a different version with a lever welded to the clutch pedal where a return spring attaches. Mine, like the one in the pictures does'nt have this lever. Question: Is there an in cab clutch return spring on my version or do one or both of the outside springs perform this function?
clutch pedal 1.jpg
clutch pedal 2.jpg
While I am at it, LMC shows a similar in cab brake pedal return spring and I can't see how it could be installed on my pedal assembly. Does brake pressure return the pedal? No place for a spring anywhere else that I can see. I will ask this question inthe brake forum also.

Thanks in advance for the assist.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mac6150

Re: Clutch Return Spring - 69 F100

Post by mac6150 »

There should be a bracket attached to the upper side of your clutch pedal that the spring attaches too. I don't see one on your clutch pedal assembly.
wartmeister

Post by wartmeister »

I believe there is a version or model that doesn't have the bracket attached to the upper part of the clutch pedal that you mention. The attached picture is a generic one I found on e-bay and it matches the one I have perfectly. Need to find someone who knows about this particular assembly.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Should be a tab on your clutch pedal assembly, at the top. There's also a spring from your clutch fork at your transmission. Has long leads on both ends and hooks from the clutch fork to the frame front crossmember.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
wartmeister

Post by wartmeister »

There is no indication that there ever was a tab on the clutch pedal assembly and the truck was driving fine when I started the rehab. I have the other spring that hooks onto the clutch fork, so I suppose that will be enough. Thanks.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

If that doesn't do what you want it to, you could drill a hole in the pedal bar and hook an aftermarket spring under the dash?
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
wartmeister

Post by wartmeister »

I installed the spring from the clutch lever to the frame under the cab and it seems to return correctly. Will let you know when I fire it up in a few weeks.
68fe360

Post by 68fe360 »

All most looks like someone removed the little arm that has the pedal side connection. You have the bracket side connection for the spring. So you have half the needed spots. If I recall correctly some years had it spot welded on to the pedal. Not 100% on that though. When I drove for a few days without the spring while I figured out how to put it back on. Mine rode a little low and was prone to vibrate making noise. Even with the spring at the clutch fork. The one at the clutch fork is to hold the fork against the push rod so it doesn't vibrate, and potentialy drop the pushrod when correctly adjusted.