Front turn signal question

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

mac6150

Front turn signal question

Post by mac6150 »

I know the turn signal issue has been beat to death on the site, but I have a question. I have been having turn signal issues after buying the 72 F250. I finally replaced the turn signal switch and all issues went away. Its a miracle. But now a new issue has arisen. When I have the lights on the front signals do not work, the parking lamp is on, but no signal. The turn signal works fine when the head lights are off. So what is different? The signal worked before when the headlights were on. It should be noted that shortly after I bought the truck I replaced the bulbs with Halogen bulbs and added new wiring and relays, which work great. I also replaced the existing bulbs with LED bulbs, which as I stated above, worked fine before the new switch but now has that issue. Has anyone run into this issue before? I haven't started trouble shooting yet, that will be for this weekend. I'll probably swap bulbs out and try the old ones and see if that solves the problem. But other than that, everything else is working fine.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Front turn signal question

Post by sargentrs »

Did you also replace the stock flashers with LED flashers?
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

Weird stuff can happen when you have a bad ground from the bulb to the bulb socket.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
mac6150

Post by mac6150 »

Yes, I replaced stock flashers with LED. I'll replace the bulbs this weekend and see what happens. Just odd how with headlights off they work fine. with lights on, back works fine, just a solid light up front. Oh well, gives me a mystery to solve. I'm fairly sure it has something to do with the LED bulb.
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

I'd check the grounds first. That's normally what causes strange issues with these old trucks. I installed a common ground post on each side, front and rear with star washers against the metal to get a good bite. Ran the ground from each light to the post, and haven't had any issues for almost twenty years.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport