Horn Pad Button Options

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

KRob

Horn Pad Button Options

Post by KRob »

Looking to repair my horn, switch in the steering wheel is bad.

I am looking to fix my horn, it hasn't worked for some time. The switch in the steering wheel is shot. I am curious if the team here knows if there is a direct replacement or if I have to get the complete assembly from someone like LMC.

The first link is to the LMC Catalog if you look on the upper left-hand portion of the page item 3 and 4.

3 i would assume has the complete assembly and thus the horn pad switch thing
4 i assume is the switch/contact pad/etc that is broken.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/full.aspx?Page=60

Thanks
Rob
71 F250 4x4, 4BT Cummins Mostly Done...Project Thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=65450
(4BT, big block ZF5, 78 NP205, 78 Dana 44 Front axle, 4.10, 265/75/16, power steering, power brakes)
01 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins...turned up a little.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Horn Pad Button Options

Post by 390FE1972 »

In regards to the horn bar #3 in the LMC catalog, I have only seen the complete assembly for sale in the catalogs. The horn contact brush #4 does wear out over the years, I had to replace mine to get my horn to work. You might want to look at Dennis Carpenter or NPD (National Parts Depot) for your parts. I have not been too happy with the items I have received from LMC, their quality on some items are lacking. If your horn bar assembly is in good condition, make sure your two wires are hooked up correctly. Usually the plastic on these old horn bars get brittle and they start to fall apart.

Good luck :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
KRob

Post by KRob »

So I made something work...however I think I would like to fix it right eventually.

I took a cheap ($3.99) horn button and disassembled it. I then shaved the base down to fit in the little recess in the assembly. I had to also make a wood spacer to fit in to push the button forward a little. Pictures below.

Is item 4 (horn contact brush)the thing I am holding in the first picture with the red circle around it?

71 F250 4x4, 4BT Cummins Mostly Done...Project Thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=65450
(4BT, big block ZF5, 78 NP205, 78 Dana 44 Front axle, 4.10, 265/75/16, power steering, power brakes)
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

I just replaced mine with one from Dennis Carpenters and it was a perfect fit. Looks like you have the walnut one in your truck so I'n not sure if they have it or not as mine is the solid black one with the ford oval in the center.
Also I'm local to them as well so I can just show up at their Parts counter and pick mine up so I'm not sure how much shipping would be.

It was absolutely money well spent as it completes the temp repair job I did on my cracked up steering wheel.
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

LMC lists item #4 as a horn contact brush, it is also called a horn contact spring assembly. It is under the steering wheel and goes into the turn signal hole and makes contact with a blue wire with yellow stripe. Here is a thread about working on the horn, it is on a 1967 to 1970 truck with the three spoke steering wheel and not the 1971-1977 horn bar, but the concept is the same. Some good info here: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =8&t=38379

Hope this helps :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

KRob wrote:So I made something work...however I think I would like to fix it right eventually.

I took a cheap ($3.99) horn button and disassembled it. I then shaved the base down to fit in the little recess in the assembly. I had to also make a wood spacer to fit in to push the button forward a little. Pictures below.

Is item 4 (horn contact brush)the thing I am holding in the first picture with the red circle around it?

Also On our trucks the horn contact brush is under the steering wheel contacting a flat surface on the bottom of the wheel itself. the center pad or horn button is all one piece and you have to replace the whole thing as one unit. there are two screws in the back of the steering wheel spokes that you remove and the whole center pad come off.
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
KRob

Post by KRob »

Alright, appreciate the information. Currently, I think I have engineered something that will work for the short term.