3.03 or not? What I think I have vs what I think this tag says

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

67F100_rookie

3.03 or not? What I think I have vs what I think this tag says

Post by 67F100_rookie »

I have a 68 longbed 240/3 on the tree. I am pretty sure it has a 3.03 trans but the remanufacturer tag seems to throw NP435 results in searches. Tag lists part number as D7TA-7003-AS. What do you guys think? Tailhousing has RF-C5TR-7A040-b. Only thing I have found in case is E-CA-UA stamped on passenger side. 9 bolts on top cover. Two shift arms.
1968 F100 240 CID Longbed (in progress)
1968 F100 Shortbed (in the que)
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 3.03 or not? What I think I have vs what I think this tag says

Post by sargentrs »

You have the 3.03. Big visual difference between the two. The NP435's goes straight into the top of the tranny and is a floor shift. The 3.03 is shifted with levers on the driver's outside of the case and is usually column shift. If it was used as a floor shift, the shifter was mounted to the tail with brackets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
mmerlinn

Post by mmerlinn »

67F100_rookie wrote:I have a 68 longbed 240/3 on the tree. I am pretty sure it has a 3.03 trans but the remanufacturer tag seems to throw NP435 results in searches. Tag lists part number as D7TA-7003-AS. What do you guys think? Tailhousing has RF-C5TR-7A040-b. Only thing I have found in case is E-CA-UA stamped on passenger side. 9 bolts on top cover. Two shift arms.
I did some Google searches with your tag number and did not find any hits for it anywhere except for THIS thread.

You did not give us all of the information on the tag either as it should have said something like RUG-xx, HEH-xx, or some similar code.

That said, as noted above, you do not have a NP435 transmission.
mmerlinn (http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/makeridx.htm)

"People who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Steven Raymond
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

:yt:

I'm thinking a later trans because of D7TA and I remember a buddy had a 3-on-the-tree in his '78, also with a 6 cyl.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
67F100_rookie

Post by 67F100_rookie »

So how do I tell if it's a RAT/RAN/HEF...etc? There is no ID tag. Only casting on the case is E-CA-UA. There are a couple spots that have what appear to be serial numbers and/or date stamps. The tag I referenced earlier was from a rebuild shop and was just silocone glued to side.
1968 F100 240 CID Longbed (in progress)
1968 F100 Shortbed (in the que)
mmerlinn

Post by mmerlinn »

67F100_rookie wrote:So how do I tell if it's a RAT/RAN/HEF...etc? There is no ID tag. Only casting on the case is E-CA-UA. There are a couple spots that have what appear to be serial numbers and/or date stamps. The tag I referenced earlier was from a rebuild shop and was just silocone glued to side.
All RAT/RAN/HEF... etc transmissions have casting numbers on the case of some sort. Your E-CA-UA is not a valid casting number at all on this series of transmissions and makes no sense whatsoever.

This series of transmissions all have a flat 9-bolt tin top cover. RATs et alia are longer than RANs et alia. All are cast iron cases. All have cast iron tail housings and bearing retainers.

What exactly are those other numbers?
mmerlinn (http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/makeridx.htm)

"People who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Steven Raymond