Could this be the "needle in the haystack?" AC Heater Core

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Uncle Bill

Could this be the "needle in the haystack?" AC Heater Core

Post by Uncle Bill »

I have been trying to restore the factory HVAC system and one of the things (as we all have learned) is that the specific heater core to the AC system is long gone, har to find.

I have been trying to find the specific part number to that part and by searching the forums and doing some chasing.... this popped up on ebay..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-Heater-Co ... :rk:1:pf:0

So.. I purchased it...ON THE HOPE.. this is it...AND..if it is.... THEY HAVE MORE!

So.. comments, advise? And..if anyone knows/has the correct part number including pre-fix.. that would be great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Could this be the "needle in the haystack?" AC Heater Core

Post by Busboy »

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think that is for a truck with FACTORY air conditioning. My ford parts manual says the part number is C8TZ-184576-A. What makes me question the auto zone part is that FACTORY air conditioning was not available on a 67 model truck. It was in 68 up. The picture of that core looks like one for a truck just the standard heater box.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
Uncle Bill

Post by Uncle Bill »

I had read the post where the factory ac system was restored over a few pages...where the Rock Auto Part was listed.. but is not available. Somehow on ebay... that listing showed up and I compare to to the 399038... when compared via photos I decided to take the chance...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

It looks like the right one. That's probably my AC rebuild thread you're referencing. http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 3&start=15 The original is 6"x6"x2" with the nipples sticking straight out on the bottom. That Ebay one looks like the Vista Pro I found on Rockauto although the nipples look a hair shorter. I only paid $25 for mine at the time but the markup doesn't surprise me given how hard to find they are.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Uncle Bill

Post by Uncle Bill »

Sargentrs;

I did go through your very thorough process to repair/preserve your A/C and heat system. Very, very well done.

In my case... I am trying to have replacement parts ready before my tech takes it apart so the the R & R can be completed very quickly. In the cab of the truck, it will look stock and work great. Under the hood will be fresh/modern components that will function better and be acceptable to look at.

I feel that the Autozone Heater Core could be the perfect part that we have not seen in a very long time. 4 month of searching and finally this appears to be it...and for that reason I wanted to share it here so that anyone who needs, or may need the factory AC Heater Core could find it... or store it until needed.

Great photo essay and write up on the AC/Heat system... thank you for sharing and documenting that process for all to see and under stand.

Bill
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

My pleasure, Uncle Bill! We're thinking along the same lines, modern parts/vintage look. 8) :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

You should be able to take your original heater core to a good radiator shop and they can rebuild it like new. This is quite common. If you're looking for a quick turnaround, source the shop before disassembly. The upside is that you know it will fit.
Uncle Bill

Post by Uncle Bill »

Ok.. the core arrived and short of installing it...everything appears perfect.

Now.. I need advise on a part selection. What is the correct/factory ac expansion valve for a 72 f100 with Auto, 390, PS and FACTORY underdash AC?

Pics..part numbers...that would be great! Thank you.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Randy
scotty642

Post by scotty642 »

I know this is an old thread but I have some insight for those dealing with this problem.

the heater core for a straight heater box is exactly the same except for the tube configuration and location.

If you have the factory A/C heater core (presumably bad) and you either have a stock heater box core or buy a new one it is an easy fix.

first, for this method an aluminum replacement core likely will not work. much easier to solder one with copper brass tanks.

you will need a 5/8" rotabroach and (2) 5/8" brass freeze plugs.

using a blow torch, very carefully desolder and remove all brass tubes from both heater cores. then carefully clean them up very meticulously.

very carefully measure the hole locations in the old A/C heater core and layout center hole points on the new heater core.

very carefully press the brass freeze plugs into the original tube holes in the new heater core before drilling holes in the new locations.

leave the brass plugs hanging evenly out of the holes by approx 1/16 of an inch and carefully solder them in to seal.

using the rotabroach (extremely important to use a broach, drill bit will only destroy the tank) drill out the new holes for the A/C box inlet/outlet tubes.

insert the A/C box tubes and solder to seal.

now you have a good new A/C box heater core.