Seat Cover Options OTHER THAN LMC?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

erikhillard

Seat Cover Options OTHER THAN LMC?

Post by erikhillard »

I really want a new seat cover that has storage pockets along the front edge like Saddle Blanket Covers. Sadly, the saddle ones seem to just fall apart on me within a few years of California sunshine. I've always bought my saddle blanket covers at the local auto parts store. Wonder if the LMC versions are any better quality. I have presumed its pretty much the same thing.

I like the style of the LMC 67-72 covers but it doesn't look like they have storage pockets.

Any recommendations to other vendors who might have a good vinyl cover with storage pockets?
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Seat Cover Options OTHER THAN LMC?

Post by JoshT »

LMC saddle blanket cover does have pockets on front of seat, says so right in the listing. Can't tell you if they are the same as one from local auto parts store, I haven't bought them from either.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/FB/full.aspx?Page=77

In pictures the LMC truck cover looks nearly identical to the one I bought from Amazon, but you know how pictures are. Different color choices, but it was about $20 less and has pockets on front too. Seems pretty sturdy to me, but I just bought it about 2 months ago and the truck hasn't been out of the shop since.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W ... UTF8&psc=1

Only pic I have of it installed in my truck, not saying I've got it installed correct. Please ignore the lumpiness, seat is torn with foam missing so I just cut a few pieces of high density foam and stuck in those spots. I'll try to get a better shot of it out in the sun light soon.

[image]749[/image]
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

Thanks, Josh. Yes, those saddle covers look very similar to what I've been using. I do like them, especially that front storage pocket for my phone/wallet, but they only seem to last me about 2 years or so in the SoCal sun.

This is the last one I purchased in January 2017. Its now garbage. I had bought it in Blue via Amazon as I couldn't find a blue one locally that time. Looks like Blue is no longer available from the same seller.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVWN2B3/

I did recently purchase a Covercraft windshield sunscreen and expect it to dramatically increase the life of my interior.

Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

Found the similar Saddle Cloth at local Orielly Auto Parts for $25 this morning. Will do for a while until I find something vinyl with storage pockets. Hopefully it will last longer with the sunshade use.
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Missed that you were looking for vinyl.

You're right that those will help protect the interior. Anything that helps to block UV will help, so you could add window tint to that list as well. A windshield sunscreen and window tint (or smoked glass) is in the future for mine as well. Thanks for the covercraft link, I much prefer the fitted style to the generic ones found at local places.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

JoshT wrote:Missed that you were looking for vinyl.

You're right that those will help protect the interior. Anything that helps to block UV will help, so you could add window tint to that list as well. A windshield sunscreen and window tint (or smoked glass) is in the future for mine as well. Thanks for the covercraft link, I much prefer the fitted style to the generic ones found at local places.
The Covercraft sunshades are amazing. I've had them in my work vans for years now and they make a big difference compared to the cheap "pop out" sunshades. Only negative is that they fold up and still are a decent size for storage while driving. Although the one for our old trucks is tiny compared to the ones required to cover the massive windshields in my new work vans.
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

The cheap cover from Orielly Auto Parts is going back. Way too small to cover my bench seat. Its two pieces as well and the one I got from Amazon was connected which prevented things from falling into and behind the seat. I almost ordered another from Amazon but the reviews do represent my feeling that it just fell apart quickly.

I'm going to give this other one a try. Not many reviews but nothing bad at this point.

Has anyone used https://www.carupholsteryguys.com/? I like that I can order the vinyl seat covers with whatever color combo. I would really like a blue set with tan inserts.

https://www.carupholsteryguys.com/categ ... w?cat=1398

I'm also starting to wonder if I have a 61-66 seat in my truck even tho its a 68 truck. Its green and definitely not the original.
IMG_2176.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

The other Amazon one arrived and I installed it today. Not too bad for the price. Has storage pockets up front. Will see how long it lasts. Hopefully I get 6 months or so out of it while I figure out a more permanent option.
IMG_2204.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Looks good! :thup:

Thanks for posting what it looks like installed, seems to fit better than the saddle blanket cover I got. My car's seats have knit mesh like that, it's pretty comfortable. If that saddle blanket fails quickly like yours did, I might just have to give one of those a try.

Your seat looks to have been recovered, but otherwise appears similar to mine in shape and structure. I'm pretty sure mine is stock to these trucks.
geradr4

Post by geradr4 »

erikhillard wrote:The other Amazon one arrived and I installed it today. Not too bad for the price. Has storage pockets up front. Will see how long it lasts. Hopefully I get 6 months or so out of it while I figure out a more permanent option.

IMG_2204.JPG
Looks nice! :thup: May I know the cost?
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

geradr4 wrote:
erikhillard wrote:The other Amazon one arrived and I installed it today. Not too bad for the price. Has storage pockets up front. Will see how long it lasts. Hopefully I get 6 months or so out of it while I figure out a more permanent option.

IMG_2204.JPG
Looks nice! :thup: May I know the cost?

$38 on Amazon..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJLFU3O/
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California