XLT Woodgrain Trim

Moderator: FORDification

RangerRat

XLT Woodgrain Trim

Post by RangerRat »

Has anyone noticed if the woodgrain used on the 72' model XLT's is darker than the 70/71?
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: XLT Woodgrain Trim

Post by Bullitt74 »

RangerRat wrote:Has anyone noticed if the woodgrain used on the 72' model XLT's is darker than the 70/71?
Assuming that you’re talking about the exterior trim? I’ve examined a fair number of side trim and tailgate trim over the years, and I would guess “no”, based on NOS trim only having the one part number. It’s possible there were subtle differences based on suppliers of the vinyl Woodgrain trim product to Ford.

Are you building a concours correct build? If not, there is a general agreement among many of us that 3M Di Noc Marine Teak is the best possible match for tailgate trim, and probably side trim inserts. I suspect there might only be a handful of people that could tell the difference between factory and the above replacement.

Any used or NOS trim would probably have had UV exposure, which certainly fades original vinyl - this we know for sure. In my experience, try taking your lighter trim piece and wipe / hose it with water...if it darkens up, it is probably sun faded.
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070