Resurrecting dad's old 68 F-100 4x4

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Resurrecting dad's old 68 F-100 4x4

Post by JoshT »

Not as much as I would have liked. Got helicoil installed and ran into another issue. In a holding pattern at the moment waiting for parts and that's not going good either, but I'll wait until the issue is resolved to get into it. At the moment it looks like it might be a couple more weeks before any more progress is made.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
hdman90
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdman90 »

Very cool to see someone else reviving an old 67-72 4wd truck. I know I am going to be facing some of the same battles in the upcoming weeks trying to get the 1970 F250 4x4 started. Hopefully everything goes well, although like yours, I'm sure it won't have brakes. I'll be staying with the original front end brake setup though.
Awesome work and progress! Keep it up!
1969 F-100 LWB 2wd 240 3spd manual
1969 F-250 LWB 4wd 360 4spd manual
1976 F-250 Supercab LWB 2wd 390 4spd manual
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

That's a cool front disc swap!! Hope the progress stays on good. Looking forward to more on your revival.
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Finally for a decent update. Definitely didn't expect it to take another month, but after a few more issues the brake swap is finally done.

Last update I'd hit a snag with my used parts. On visual inspection both of my used spindles looked to be serviceable. When trying to install my rotors I discovered that the threads one spindle were damaged enough to not be usable. Don't blame person that sold me the parts, it might have worked with the Chevy rotor and hub, but I'm mixing parts and it didn't work.

Ordered a new spindle through ebay. It was supposed to be located in Delaware and guaranteed to be delivered by that Friday, the latter was biggest reason for buying from that seller on Ebay. When I received shipping notice, it was coming from India. Needless to say it didn't arrive that Friday like it was supposed to. A week and two customs delays later it finally arrived. Was able to get the disc components installed over the last weekend of August.

Before
[image]783[/image]

After
[image]874[/image]

After installing the calipers I went to connect the new hoses and hit another snag. I'd ordered banjo bolts from summit based on a review someone posted saying they worked on a 76 Chevy Dana 44. Same components I'm using, but they weren't near long enough for my liking. After passing though the hose end there was less than 2 threads for the caliper. That killed another week waiting on new banjo bolts.

Had everything buttoned up last weekend, then the brake system wouldn't bleed. Well it was slowly bleeding, but after hours of trying it would never build up pressure. Decided to call the master cylinder bad, so ordered a new master for an F-350 (matches bore size of the 74 Blazer) as well as a proportioning valve and bracket to hold it.

Got master cylinder replaced and brakes bled this weekend.

Before
[image]705[/image]

After
[image]873[/image]
[image]872[/image]

With the brakes buttoned up, I had to see what the new shoes would look like.

[image]876[/image]
[image]877[/image]

265/75r16 Fallen Wildpeak AT3w
16x8 Vision Soft 8 wheels from Discount Tire

Using a 2" spacer/adapter on the rear to push the wheels out. Need to swap to longer studs on the back before I drive it, but I think 2" was a good choice.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Only had a short time to work in truck this weekend. Put heat protection sleeves on fuel lines, so those of you working about that can rest easier. Got the other wheel installed, and it's ready to sit back on the tires.

Still need to diagnose lack of rear brake lights and turn signals. Left it on stands in case we need to climb under truck to chase wires. Dad said he will try to tackle that some during the week. Hope he finds something so I can get parts ordered if needed.

Got a door weatherstrip kit and vent window seals on the way. Hopefully they will be here by next weekend and I can install the better door regulators. Did bad and went with cheaper rubber, figured I'll be replacing them again in a few years for paint anyway.

After that I'm still waiting on a package from Marti, then I'll be getting the truck inspected and registered.

Next on the projects list are a receiver hitch, an alternator upgrade, and a trailer brake controller.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

All of my new rubber arrived yesterday, so hopefully I'll be able to get some if it installed this weekend. I'll be aiming for getting the window regulators swapped and new window and vent window rubber installed. Door seals will wait for down the road, have some rust to fix on passenger side before I mess with those.

Got some good news about my lights this afternoon. Apparently dad had a chance to mess with it today and got the tail lights, turn signals and emergency flashers working. He also tested the brake light switch and it seems to be working, but still no brake lights. Might be a wire issue, but seems like I probably need to go through and clean-up or replace the grounds through the truck. I can handle fixing a few wires or grounds, I'm just happy to hear I don't have to order more parts.

Forgot an item on my list of projects, and this is one that I actually need to do now. With the new wheel tire set-up I need about a half inch longer stud on the back axle. Now I've just got to figure out what's there so I can figure out what I need to order.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Finally got shipping notification for my new door warranty tag from Marti this week. :D Only took them 9 weeks to stamp a metal tag. :roll:

More good news, All exterior lights are now working and no parts were needed. :woohoo:

Turns out that some time over the last 10 years dad robbed a few fuses for other things. Getting the fuse box back populated and cleaning up a few grounds fixed the lights.

Got driver side door apart and back together with new seals last weekend. Would have gotten the passenger side done as well, but the glass had separated from the lift track. Got that fixed by a local glass shop during the week, and will be putting it back together this weekend. Have also figured out that I need new vent window latches, mine are worn excessively from years of use, so that'll be part of the next DC/NPD order.

Found out that my wheel stud issue is a non issue, so I'm good to go on wheels and tires. Hopefully be able to get better shots of that outside the shop this weekend.

Had about $500 that I actually needed to spend this week, surplus balance on a CC and they were going to zero the account if I didn't spend it. I'd rather spend it that wait weeks for a check to arrive in the mail. Was planning to spend all of it on the truck, but **** happens. After putting new tires on the car, the remainder was spent on a trailer hitch for the truck. Should arrive next week and be installed shortly there after. Still need to figure out what I want for a trailer brake controller.

Now I'm on the hunt for a 3G alternator, and parts to convert to delay wipers. I wish I had a good pick-n-pull type yard local, but the closest is a good 2 hours away, so not really worth the trip unless a lot of big late model parts are needed. Guess I'll have to resort to watching eBay.

I know, you want pictures. Hope to have some by end of the weekend.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Well, got doors mostly back together, but nothing worth taking pictures of. Got another list of odd parts to order from NPD.

Got first broken bolt of the project. Was loosening the tension bolts to put in new belts, got PS pump loose and belt removed. Tried to loosen alternator and the bolt head just popped off. Don't feel like pulling it to remove bolt shank and don't have a replacement on hand anyway, so that'll get fixed next weekend.

I have a feeling that instead of removing the broken bolt, I'll probably be installing a 3g alternator. It's going to happen anyway, now is as good a time as any.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

JoshT wrote:Finally got shipping notification for my new door warranty tag from Marti this week. :D Only took them 9 weeks to stamp a metal tag. :roll:
Got it installed. That was the last little big piece I was waiting on for registering the truck. With that done I'll see about getting the inspection (just verifying VIN), insurance, and registration process started on Monday.
JoshT wrote:...but **** happens. After putting new tires on the car, the remainder was spent on a trailer hitch for the truck. Should arrive next week and be installed shortly there after.

...and when it starts happening, it keeps happening. The gas tank that I cleaned and seemed to be solid, decided to start leaking over the past week. I really didn't want to put a new tank in the truck since I was planning to relocate it to under the bed eventually, but looks like I'm buying a tank anyway.

On the positive side, I found the leak while I was installing the receiver hitch so that's one more things checked off the list. Also noticed while under the truck that dad had left the wiring and 7 blade connector for the trailer brakes on the truck, that means I just need to get a controller when the time comes.
JoshT wrote:Got first broken bolt of the project. Was loosening the tension bolts to put in new belts, got PS pump loose and belt removed. Tried to loosen alternator and the bolt head just popped off. Don't feel like pulling it to remove bolt shank and don't have a replacement on hand anyway, so that'll get fixed next weekend.

I have a feeling that instead of removing the broken bolt, I'll probably be installing a 3g alternator. It's going to happen anyway, now is as good a time as any.
I will definitely be doing the 3G alternator, ended up ordering a reman alternator since I don't really feel like taking a chance on a salvage yard unit. Ordered the alternator and a PA-Performance 1G to 3G conversion kit last Tuesday. I could have done the swap without the kit, but I needed a pigtail and like the idea of a "working" ammeter (even if it's innacurate) so I figured it was worth the cost. The conversion kit arrived Thursday, still waiting on the alternator.

Turns out the pivot bolt on the alternator was stuck pretty good too. Fortunately it didn't break. Still a fight to get it removed, steel bolt through an aluminum alternator housing, pretty sure there's some corrosion in there.
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

JoshT wrote: ...I will definitely be doing the 3G alternator, ended up ordering a reman alternator since I don't really feel like taking a chance on a salvage yard unit. Ordered the alternator and a PA-Performance 1G to 3G conversion kit last Tuesday. I could have done the swap without the kit, but I needed a pigtail and like the idea of a "working" ammeter (even if it's innacurate) so I figured it was worth the cost. The conversion kit arrived Thursday, still waiting on the alternator...
I too would like to keep my working ammeter if/when I do this conversion. Please let us know how the PA kit goes for you!
-Chris
1969 F250 4x4 4spd 300 I6
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Sounds like your making great progress and i'm proud of ya. It looks great as well! :thup: As for the 3g conversion you can use the factory amp gauge. However take some rigging as its rated for 65 amps and the 3g 130 normally. Gotta do more research myself as this is how it will be going.
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Manny, I'm using the PA-Performance kit (http://www.paperformance.com/1g-3g-conversion-462802c/) for installing a 3G and keeping the ammeter functioning, but I bought it through American Muscle for a little less. I also found instructions for modifying a voltage regulator like the kit has, but I can't recall if I bookmarked that site, I'll post a link to it later if I did. Since I needed pigtails for the conversion anyway, I felt that $25 for the kit with harness and modified regulator was worth the cost.

Honestly, I'm not certain that the ammeter was working before, but I'll try to update how its doing after. Honestly didn't pay much attention to the gauges in dash before pulling it into shop. Engine sounded healthy and was idling well with the Sniper EFI. At this point it's been driven maybe 100 yards since bringing it back to life, that number should start increasing in the next week or so. I'm planning to add a volt meter in the next few weeks anyway, just got to let my wallet recover from the current bout of spending.

The 3G conversion is done assuming that I didn't mess up the wiring, shouldn't have since it was just one plug and 2 wire connections using the PA-Performance kit. Got lucky on finding an alternator and I think I'll be into the alternator swap for about $55 after returning the old alternator for a core. I'll see how it worked as soon as I get the tank back installed.

VIN verification inspection was competed Thursday morning. Insurance was started Thursday afternoon. Registration and tags were taken care of Friday morning, so the truck is now registered and insured to be able to drive on road legally. :woohoo:

New fuel tank arrived on Thursday afternoon from NPD, but wasn't able to get to it until Saturday. Truck is a 70 model. Ordered 61-70 model tank from NPD, no pics on site to compare. Seems that tanks actually changed in 70 instead of 71 so that tank doesn't fit, seems I actually needed a 71-72 tank which I can't even find on NPD site. Too much hassle to return and get later model tank, so I'll be modifying things to work. It's frustrating, but I needed to modify for my EFI anyway, so what's a little more. Already found adapter to attach larger fuel line to smaller tank port, just need to redrill upper mounting flange for the later 5 bolt holes and add my fuel return fitting. Already planning to ditch the in cab tank for an under bed tank in a few years, just want/need to do a few other things before I get to that point.

Technically I hit my goal, to have it running and street legal before Deer hunting season started. It's running and got tags on Friday (10/19) and Gun season for Deer started Saturday (10/20) and that's the start of my hunting season. Ideally it'll be weight on wheels and ready to roll tomorrow. Still need to get a new windshield put in before I drive it much.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

That's great your making your goal!! I see what they are doing with the regulator just making the wiring tote the main without having it explode the dash.
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

JoshT wrote:Manny, I'm using the PA-Performance kit (http://www.paperformance.com/1g-3g-conversion-462802c/) for installing a 3G and keeping the ammeter functioning, but I bought it through American Muscle for a little less. I also found instructions for modifying a voltage regulator like the kit has, but I can't recall if I bookmarked that site, I'll post a link to it later if I did. Since I needed pigtails for the conversion anyway, I felt that $25 for the kit with harness and modified regulator was worth the cost....
Love to see the link for modifying the voltage regulator if you find it. Let us know how your truck is running now that you are road legal!
-Chris
1969 F250 4x4 4spd 300 I6
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Idaho Chris wrote:Love to see the link for modifying the voltage regulator if you find it. Let us know how your truck is running now that you are road legal!
I called it instructions, more like a drawing on a napkin of what was found inside one of these regulators. I'll be saving the old regulator off my truck and if I ever do this conversion again I'll give it a try. Here's the link, it's at the bottom of the page.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... sion-guide

It might be road legal, but it isn't safe yet. The truck starts great and seems to run good, but it isn't stopping yet. An issue I should have fixed right a month ago, came back to bite me.

While replacing the master cylinder, I had to cut and reflare the hard line for the front brake to prop valve connection due to wrong size flare nut. At the time I said the old steel line was pitted enough that probably won't seal right, but dad said give it a try. Well it held for manual brake bleeding, but once power braking was applied it leaked like a sieve. About to go pick up a piece of nicopp and see if I can get it replaced before work, but will be a day or two before I get it bled out again.
Last edited by JoshT on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.