FE manual bellhousing?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

FE manual bellhousing?

Post by JoshT »

Are all FE manual transmission bellhousings the same?

I posted a thread in parts wanted asking for a clutch inspection cover for my 390 and NP435 combo. Since posting that I think I've found new reproduction part on some of the Classic Mustang parts sites. Listings say that the cover is for a 390 Mustang with manual transmission, and some claim in description that it will fit all Ford's with an FE and manual transmission.

Here is one example. Found it somewhere else for a little less, get this cover and the cab mount plate for ~$70 shipped, but it's bookmarked at home and I'm at work.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustan ... ustang.axd

Will it work?

This is one case where I think buying new might actually be cheaper.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: FE manual bellhousing?

Post by My427stang »

There are a few different versions of bellhousings, but the most important thing is depth matching transmission.

If you are running a car transmission, you will need a car bellhousing due to the length of the input shaft, if you are using a truck transmission, you need to use a truck bellhousing. I don't have the measurements in front of me, but it's about 3/4 of an inch difference.

Sometimes you can cheat a little and swap the two, but you need to be careful, you have to have pilot bushing engagement, and you cannot jam the pilot into the crank or it will take out the thrust bearing (#3 on the crank)
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: FE manual bellhousing?

Post by JoshT »

Thanks for the info. Although it didn't answer what I really needed to know about the clutch inspection cover, I did ask if all bellhousings are the same (they are not) and it is still good to know.

After a few days of waiting, I figured the answer to the clutch inspection cover may may just not be known here. I lothe Facebook, but I popped over and asked in an FE group. They confirmed that while there are different bellhousings, all of them used the same clutch inspection cover.

I'll be ordering a new replacement, probably from NPD, in the next few days.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body