1972 Ford F100 Project.

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

North56

1972 Ford F100 Project.

Post by North56 »

This truck is my project for the next couple of years. The truck belongs to my father-in-law ( who is 92 years young) right now, and he bought the truck new. Myself, I am 64 right now, turning 65 next month. The truck has been sitting behind the hay shed for the last 10 years. I pulled it out yesterday, but before I did that my wife and myself had to chainsaw some maples trees out of the way that have grown in the way since the truck has been parked there. Hope you all enjoy the project, I will be asking a few questions here along the way, I hope you don't mind.

North56

Re: 1972 Ford F100 Project.

Post by North56 »

Pulled the spark plugs today and sprayed some PB Blaster into the cylinders. Will let it sit for a couple of days, then put a bar on the pulley and see if the motor is seized or not.

When we dragged out the truck, the front drivers side wheel was not turning. Turns out the brake shoes had seized to the brake drum. That took some brute force to get if off today :) .

Hope to try and tow the truck home in a couple of days, will be going very slowly.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

With the front wheel that way, you won't have brakes. It may be better to have a tow truck bring it home for you.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Looking forward to the progress on this one!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
geradr4

Post by geradr4 »

That truck is a cool project for sure. Keep us posted. Lots of guys here are willing to answer your questions if there's any.
North56

Post by North56 »

popeyes71 wrote:Looking forward to the progress on this one!
Thanks for watching.
North56

Post by North56 »

geradr4 wrote:That truck is a cool project for sure. Keep us posted. Lots of guys here are willing to answer your questions if there's any.
Thanks for the support, greatly appreciated.
North56

Post by North56 »

These are the tires that are on the truck now, pretty rotten, a couple of them go flat over night.

Just by luck I have a set of P205/75R15 laying around with hardly no miles on them. That worked out great.

North56

Post by North56 »

Just a little update without pics. Put a breaker bar on the motor pulley this morning and she turned. Disconnected the gas line at the fuel pump, put a battery in and she cranked over nicely. Had the tires on, figured what the heck, time to pull it home, (home is only 2 miles away on a gravel road). We took it slow, my wife was in the 1972 Ford steering, remember we don't have any brakes...lol. It all turned out fine, safe at home now. Tomorrow, I will see if it will start. Will run a line from the fuel pump to a gas can of fresh gas. More later.
North56

Post by North56 »

Pulled the front fenders a few days ago. Will need inner and outer fenders, rad support and a few other parts for the front. Take a look.

North56

Post by North56 »

Took the rubber mats out of the truck today. There was a patch job done a few years back with screwed in sheet metal. I pulled that all out and it looks like there is not much truck left. Do you guys think it is worth trying to fix or should I look for another cab in better shape, which will be almost impossible to find here?

Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Welcome to the forum, and I am liking your project thus far. The Explorers certainly have some pedigree, and are worthy of some attention. What color is that - avocado green? Seapine green?

As far as cabs are concerned, I thought my cab was "rust free", and it was rusted out also in the floor and kickpanel area...didn't realize it until it was sandblasted and the pinholes came through. My cab mounts didn't need replacement, but most of them do at this stage (get the Dennis Carpenter ones if you replace them - they are thicker steel and fit better). I think your situation also depends on the condition of your drip rails - if you get in there and they are rusted through, it may be worthwhile to find a different cab.

Looking forward to your progress!

Steve.
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
North56

Post by North56 »

[quote="Bullitt74"]Welcome to the forum, and I am liking your project thus far. The Explorers certainly have some pedigree, and are worthy of some attention. What color is that - avocado green? Seapine green?"

The color is Seapine Green.

" I think your situation also depends on the condition of your drip rails - if you get in there and they are rusted through, it may be worthwhile to find a different cab."

The drip rails seem fine. Thanks for the comments and I will definitely look for the Dennis Carpenter cab mounts.
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

I replied to your post in Body & Paint...find another cab. Forget local. Find the right one in a dry climate and have it shipped. Money ahead, no comparison.

Tell us a little about the build. Is the plan to bring it back completely stock as it was purchased? Any changes or updates?
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
:thup: project link: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=83642
North56

Post by North56 »

Tell us a little about the build. Is the plan to bring it back completely stock as it was purchased? Any changes or updates?
I plan on leaving most of the truck stock. Will probably do the front disk brake and power steering swap from a 73-79 Ford F150 if I can find a donor truck. Just missed out on a 79 F150 by one day. :)