Truck parts...enough incentive to quit smoking?

General Discussion Topic Archives
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Truck parts...enough incentive to quit smoking?

Post by FORDification »

I've really been needing to do something about my smoking habit. Normally during the day at work I don't do too bad, but once I come home and sit down in front of the computer, I become a chain-smoking machine...and it's starting to have some real effects on my breathing and stamina. The first major step in trying to quit smoking though...is actually wanting to. I've always known that I NEED to quit, but it's the WANTING to quit that I have a problem with.

Mary and I were talking about this last night. Since I smoke about a carton/week, we spend about $120/month on tobacco. That's one of the things that she doesn't like, she'd rather actually get something for that money, and I guess I can't blame her. She's been after me to quit ever since we've known each other, but I think she finally gave up on the "I don't want to be a widow" route and decided to play dirty. So...she made me an offer: if I quit smoking, I can take the money we'd normally spend on cigarettes each month and buy truck parts with it, out of the family account.

She's so devious....hits me with the one offer that actually might work. :eek: Guess I have some thinking to do...and some quitting to start. ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

do it! if you need something more to quit for, do it for you kids and your wife. 2nd hand smoke kills too.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
67RED
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Truck parts...enough incentive to quit smoking?

Post by 67RED »

hey keith i know you can do it. maybe get that truck to going sonner :$$: :$$:
steve
Life is 90% how you take it10% what you make it
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Quitting's a b*tch, but it's great once you get past the cravings. You actually get to breath again! And then you get near a current smoker and you ask yourself, "OMG, I actually smelled like that??!!
The money is a good motivator too. When I finally quit I was at a pack to a pack and a half a day and that was totalling up to around $750 a year. Heck, I've spent far less on buying a truck, still do at times.
Did I mention that quitting's a b*tch? :pout:
bigdoug22

Post by bigdoug22 »

i had an even better incentive i had a small stroke which has really put life into perscepctive. havnt wanted on now for over a month so quit now before you get a personal hint from the big guy upstairs
72 f250 camper special and it only cost 200.00 and it has now soared over the $1000 mark
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

Keith- Good luck- it is the "want to" that will make the difference- seriously- good luck & stay focused on it- jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

Right there with ya, Keith. Been noticing how hard it is to breath, some days worse than others. Lost my father to lung cancer in `97, and promised him as he was slowly dying that I would quit, but I just havent been able to pul it off. :(

Monday would have been his 85th birthday.

I think it's time I kept that promise. (For him AND myself)
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
granitestate68

Post by granitestate68 »

Hi Keith,

I'm with you 100%. Just bought new springs and shocks ( front and back ) using the money I would have spent on butts. That's part of the deal with me quitting. Woohoo!.. Of course, the big man upstairs gave me the jump start to quitting with the attack xmas eve.

Anybody out there that's thinking about quitting to help your health, here's a little wake up call.

Got the bill in the mail from the hospital where I was a guest for 4 days.

$35,000

Thank god for insurance (cause if I didn't have it, I'd be racking up another 35K after opening that letter). My portion is small, but still gonna be hard to pay quickly. Glad I bought the springs and shocks yesterday :evil:

Good luck quitting and it does get easier. I have gained some weight but I'd rather be a little heavy than DEAD!!!!

Lee
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-550
1996 F250 Slightly lifted 7.3L Diesel
1961 Falcon Ranchero 144 Inline 6
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Good luck to you...Other than that,I'm afraid I'm not much help as a success story....Sometimes I think the only thing that will work for me is if somebody dropped me off in the middle of nowhere,days journey from civilization,with a backpack full of provisions,cartons of cigarettes---and no matches...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
Fordfool

Post by Fordfool »

A guy I work with quit smoking cold turkey after many years of smoking. His wife told him he could get himself a new Binelli shotgun whatever model he wanted. He smoked a couple packs a day. He has been without smoking for about 6 months now.
My Gallery

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe
19674x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 19674x4 »

good luck keith, just think of it this way, your wife will be happy with buying you truck parts. anyway i would do it more for my family than just part money.
My Photo Album
2012 Cummins-the luxury Tow Pig
1967 F-250 highboy 352, np435(((((((sold))))))))) My first true love
1968 F100 SWB. 360, np-435, flatbed, currently acting as a hornest nest and bee hive.
1971 F-100 4x4 Step-side. 360, np-435, 70k origional miles- needs allot of love.
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Good luck Keith, I'm sure you can overcome this obstacle easily, just remember only good can come of you quitting. :thup:
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

$120/mo X 12 mo= $1,440/yr.
In ten years that's $14,440!
You might be able to scrounge up a few parts for that! :lol:
Good luck, Keith!
BTW: The record setting Powerball jackpot was won in Lincoln, Ne!
But it wasn't me. :(
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
capeclassics

Post by capeclassics »

YOU CAN DO IT KEITH!!! I smoked 35+years until two years ago when I was diagnosed with COPD(Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease).Basically means not alot of lung function left cause the little air sacks that absorb oxygen in the lungs are pretty much fried.....I get short of breath pretty easy.Point is you can get away with smoking for a long time but it eventually catches up with you.Theres alot of help out there but as you know the key is getting to the place where you WANT to quit.Aside from the incentives already listed in previous posts...WE NEED YOU TO STICK AROUND!!