get more money for the same
machine.....
:loco:

My 1967 bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 09#p668209

My 1970 Bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 16&t=50726
68fe360

Re: Scarebird front brake conversion

Post by 68fe360 »

I know it's an old thread, but thought I would answer the massaging question. As I just did this conversion.

My rims are not stock, but old aftermarket 15" drum style rims. So they are closer to stock in internal size.

All I had to was put my rims on and spin them. This caused a rub mark on the caliper ware they were hitting. I then took a ******* file and knocked those areas down. It was something like 2 or 3 spots on the outer edges of the caliper ware the casting molds we're obviously worn out, and there was extra flashing that could not be removed with a deburing tool.

It real only needed a few passes with the file, but I hate double handling work. So I gave it a little extra, and nicely round my file marks to match the caliper.

Even with this extra file work it's no ware near enough to compromise strength of the caliper. I don't think I removed a total of 1/8th of an inch of thickness in anyone spot. So you won't have to worry about stuff breaking afterwards. Well except for the kind of breaking you want.

Just had to throw that pun in there. Lol
oleblue

Post by oleblue »

Sorry to again bring up an old discussion. I've been reading up on this conversion and seriously considering it. I'm planning to stick with stock wheels though, so I was hoping to hear confirmation that a bit of grinding on the calipers will be sufficient. I'd rather not run wheel spacers.

I've got six stock wheels I'm planning to get powder coated to a white that hopefully closely replicates Wimbledon White, and I'll run correct hubcaps.
68fe360

Post by 68fe360 »

Well hopefully you went ahead with it. My rims are very close to stock. Others who have stock rims have said it was just a matter of taking off the casting flashing, and sharp points. Mine were even easier. Just a few swipes with a file in 2 to 3 spots.